The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Autronic SMC install problems ... Please help

Gimpin

I got my SMC installed but now I can't seem to get any spark.

I have the ignition out put 1 and 2 ran to the inputs on the stock power transistor but I can't seem to figure out why I'm not getting spark

I have checked and I have 12v power to the power transistior ... what am I missing

toybreaker

iconoclast
Does the tach "bounce" at all?

You can narrow it down a little more if you have a spare cas. Just unplug the one on the motor, plug in your spare and spin it up by hand.

If it's being read by the ecu, you should hear the injectors click, even if you got's no spark.

Gimpin

We are getting signals from the CAS because the Autronic is seeing a tach signal.

I also know that the injectors are firing in order (I took them out with them in the rail and hooked up and watched them fire in order.)

I have a fair few cals for the smc and 4g63. Send me your cal an i can have a look if something isn't right.

bazeng

Just make sure you have the correct settings.

I can also check your CAL for you also.

I'm running an AUTRONIC SM4 on my vr4.

Apart from that, you can try to swap the ref / sync wires on the CAS.

Gimpin

I was able to upload my cal file here

click

I don't seem to be able to upload it on this site ... I can email it so you too if you need

Gimpin

are any of you guys running the stock ignition (pwr trans and coils) with your smc?

also can someone upload my cal file so these guys can see it???

Last edited:

Gimpin

ok here is some additional info .... there is a ground strap in the autronic harness ... when it is connected to a ground (ie manifold) I have normal injector pulse but NO spark .... when it is disconected from the manifold I have constant spark ... and injectors are constant open.

Gimpin

Thank you so much ... thanks for your post on mrm as well ... I am not really at the point of dealing with the dwell time but as soon as I get sh*t at least firing correctly it will become an issue

Gimpin

ok we tested the ignition outputs with a scope and they are both silent when cranking ... anybody else have any ideas? We are getting a good signal from the CAS because the autroic software is reading tach and is fireing injectors correctly.

bazeng

I'm not sure if this will help, but I recall the SMD's having an immobilizer option. Some jumpers or wires had to be switched in order for it to work.

I'll confirm with you tommorrow about this on the SMC.

Do you have the manual?

bazeng

Ok,

Just discussed this with Danny @ Springy Motors here in VICTORIA/AUS about the issue.
Springy are authorized Autronic dealers and also test prototype knock control stuff.

Anyway, he asked if you are getting 20rpm or 200rpm when you are cranking. You should be getting 200rpm. If not, switch your CAS wires over (sync and ref).

Let me know how you go with this, I'll look at your CAL file in the meantime.. (on the other computer...)

bazeng

As for the immobilizers option, that is only with the SMD ecu's (SMC's but plugin for cars).
SMC's do not have this.

Did you wire it up yourself?

Gimpin

I bought it used from a guy who was running it on a galant vr4 so he included the autronic wireing harness he used so .... other than the few additional wires I had to run it was pretty much wired

I am pretty sure that we were getting 200 rpm while cranking but I will check again

Gimpin

ok I have confirmed that we are getting 200 rpm while cranking

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned