The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

We have ignition w/ autronic!!!!!!!!!!!

Gimpin

A couple months ago I decided to undertake installing of my autronic SMC... after getting everything installed and tried to start I relized that I didn't have any spark. After poking around more I found out that the SMC does not controll dwell so the stock coil and pwr trans would not work with out an MSD box ... a friend of mine wasn't sure if this was the problem so we decided to scope the ignition outputs from the Autronic and see if they were sending a signal. When the signals showed up dead we thought there was something wrong with the autronic so I tried contacting a few dealers to see if it could be tested and repaired. One of the dealers advised that the scope we were using could not map such a small trigger and that we probably only needed an ignition cdi box. I was not willing to believe this so to prove him wrong I borrowed a MSD DIS-2 and installed it and guess what ...... IT RUNS!!! now I just need to buy a CDI and get the beast tuned!!

fwiw the dealer that I talked to was Bob Payton from www.speedlab1.com in Lake Bluff IL .... He was VERY profesional and helpful ... I know some of ou are from IL so if you know him tell him thanks x1000000000000000000

Whoodoo

We run an autronic SM2 and MSD in the formula car here at school. Its a really good ECU. Does the SMC have auto tune? If so, use it. It optimizes your map really quick and will get you within 95% of a really good professional can do pretty much right off the bat. There are videos up on youtube of it working and its really quite amazing. Congrats on getting it up and running!

Gimpin

I dont think the SMC has autotune ... the SMC is the first model so it doesn't have alot of the features that the SM2 and SM4 has .... I decided to go Autronic because my friend/tuner said it was one of the best standalone's that he has worked with .... and it was cheap ($250 used)

bazeng

I'm running the SM4 in my VR4.
It is the best ECU!!

The only other comparisons are the MOTEC M400/M800...

Get yourself an AUTRONIC CDI or M&W Pro 14 CDI.
I'm running the M&W Pro 14.

As for autotune, I think they are an upgrade on the SMC's..

Gimpin

I ain't a baller ... the autronic CDI is a bit out of my price range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .... The autotune isn't really a big deal since I have free tuning and dyno time

curtis

Free tuning and dyno time thats better than a free pass to the Bunny Ranch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh a side note. I own not one but two old school HKS ignition boxes thought they were period correct and at the time heard alot of good stuff about them one has a yellow stripe and one has a red stripe. Apparently one was a race version. Probably had larger caps in it or something because it is heavier but after endless days of searching can't find any wiring data on them. If any one reads this hook a brother up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned