The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2g self locking exhaust manifold nut part number

KGVR4

Does any one have this part number? After 5 calls to the somewhat local mitsubishi dealer and 4 packages later they have not been able to send me the nut I'm looking for.

I'm basically looking to get rid of the washer that you normally use with gvr4 oem exhaust manifold nuts by replacing them with these self locking nuts.

This is the self locking nut I'm looking for: (I will upload the pictures later)
photo-30.jpg

photo-29.jpg

This is what they keep sending me.

photo-28.jpg

photo-27.jpg

This is what they keep sending me.

I am starting to question as to whether this part even exist oem. I do know one thing these guys at this dealership have no clue as to what a self locking nut is.

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:

Barnes

Well. I *might* be able to find the part number. When I ordered a bunch of parts from JNZ one time, he offered to send the copper exhaust manifold lock nuts. They are (EDIT) just like the ones you pictured with the serrations. I think he said they are a BMW part originally. I would suggest calling them and see what they say.

EDIT: Quoting Barnesmobile:
I would suggest that you still use flat washers under the nuts.

I might take this back if you are using the serrated nuts. I don't remember what I used. I think by putting a flat washer under the serrated nut, it might completely defeat the purpose. Damn, my memory sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rausch

Quote:
I would suggest that you still use flat washers under the nuts.

If you wind up using something other than what you are looking for, use a Belleville washer to keep things from backing apart.

G

Staff member
Bmw # 18 10 7 523 805. Or you can run the Nissan self locking ones. Have to dig up the part #. The copper ones from that sstud company are only copper coated & are not self locking. Your better off using a good locking nut with copper or nickel anti seize like the bmw or the nissan units. Below are the bmw nuts, as you can see they stake the threads top & bottom instead of the ridges used on the mits unit. Actually the entire nut seems to be copper & has a timesert/ insert installed. I have 6 leftover if anyone wants them. M8 x 1.25. The ss unit next to these is a arp.

19405242.jpg

35215210.jpg

dsc04576c.jpg

dsc04574h.jpg

Last edited:

KGVR4

So if I end up using the BMW nuts do I still need washers? My entire attempt is to avoid using washers.

Is there any place that sells the exact nut that I have in the first picture, which has those sharp locking "things" on the back of the nut.

Thanks for the help guys.

G

Staff member
No you won't need flat or locking washers. I think the bmw design is better than the mitsu type.

jepherz

Staff member
The ones G posted do look like they'd work better. One time use only, though.

FYI, if you have any other washers in addition to any sort of locking washer, you're defeating the purpose. If you added a washer to the one that G posted, it would still lock without any problem.

Barnes

Call JNZ and ask them if they sell the nuts with the serrated back (the first nut you posted). I HIGHLY recommend these simply due to the fact that they are unlikely to end up pulling out a manifold stud from head. The serrated nuts rely on gripping the surface under them (the exhaust manifold flange) to keep from backing off. Where as other nuts, like the stock nuts or the nuts that G posted, grip the stud itself. Stock nuts, or nuts with pinched threads or features of that nature should still probably have washers under them. Serrated nuts, probably not. EDIT: The BMW nuts that G posted don't need washers. I thought they were small like the stock nuts.

Why are you so intent on getting rid of the washers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned