The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shifter hard to get in gear sometimes

deez

So with my original trans, and two transmissions later, the shifter sometimes is hard to get in gear at a stop, mostly first thing in the morning. Sometimes reverse, sometimes first. Its like its binding. If I roll the car forward or backward, depending on which gear I am trying to get into, it will go into gear, or if I let the clutch out just a bit, then it will slide in gear. Being that its been an issue on three transmissions, I don't thing it has anything to do with that. The shifter is solid mounted to the floor, cables/bushings are stock. Clutch has been replaced twice and has had the same issue on the two replacements plus the stocker. Throwout and master cylinder is new as well. That points toward cables/bushings. Anyone else run into this?

Have you isolated a point at which it happens, say disconnect the shifter cables from the tranny, and seeing if it binds still, or try manually shifting the tranny? Id say start there, then look in your shifter and see if the lowest arm assembly underside is sagging and rubbing/shearing on the top of the of the shifter plate/bracket.

Gimpin

it helps if you shift to second (no need to let out the clutch) then into 1st or reverse ... it helps line up the syncros ... All of my DSMs have done this and after a while you get used to it and it becomes a habit

spoulson

Are you certain the clutch is fully disengaging?

JNR

Is there any adjustment on the cables and/or did you change something that may require more or less travel (of the cable)? Doesn't sound like you changed anything other than rpelacements...

It is possible for cables to stretch over time; hence why I would think there *should* be an adjustment somewhere. Or else, maybe new cables?

Last edited:

deez

New cables is all I can think of. Maybe they are a little slack from year of stretch??

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned