The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

some brake issues

91GSR

starting yesterday while i was driving around town, i noticed that my brakes are acting kinda funny. if i really jam on them nothing funny happens i jsut stop faster, but if i am rolling to a stop (like at a light or a stopp sign) and lightly press my brakes, sometimes i get kinda a scratchy feeling in the pedal, like something is stuck on the rotor. is there a quick easy check to see if the rotor is warped or if i have a bad caliper or pads? i dont wanna fully take apart the brakes, just figure out what the funny noises and feelings are.

curtis

You could have a rock stuck between the pad and the rotor or the pads are just shot. Look at the rotor and check for groves on the front and back and look at the pad thickness as well. As for checking for warp jack up the car and spin the wheels and listen for a rub nothing rub. Hard to make sound effects while typing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

91GSR

i get what ur sayin lol. i will check it out when i get home.

dsmless

also a warped rotor will make the steering wheel jerk side to side when braking and you will feel a vibration coming thru, check for a rock or sand in the pads, also it could be your rear brakes going on you, check the rotors front and back for wear groves or one side worn out more than the other

curtis

Another thing to check after a drive is temperature of the rotors compared to the others. I had a pass rear not release one time and after changing lines, bleeding the system, and tearing the caliper apart found that it was all caused by the square piston seal in the caliper. Over time the brake fluid had caused it to swell and drag on the piston. I replaced it with a normal o ring from the oring cabinet at advance and its still in there 8 years later. Yotal cost to replace was like 52 cents.

Terry Posten

^^^ Yes, rears stick sometimes.^^^

How can you tell?

Smoke rolling out of the rim and rotor glowing red is a good clue. Ask me how I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

91GSR

i had a caliper stick in another car i owned. i know it isnt that. is way to noticeable to be that lol. i will check the wear on them and see whats up. also i know it isnt the rear because i hear the noise up front. kinda a scratching. sometimes the wheel kinda moves from side to side but never jerks. i am confident it is in the front brakes, just dont know what. i will check for rocks and such when i work on it all tomorrow.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned