The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Parking brake/ caliper problem

SleepinGVR4

So I realized one of my rear calipers is locked up. So I go down to a local Autozone (because I was in a rush) and get new pads, rotor and caliper. I should also mention, rotor got trashed due to the locked up caliper.

Slap everything together and noticed that my parking brake no long works on the caliper I just replaced. I re-adjusted the parking brake and still has the same problem. Also the parking brake cables are only a year or 2 old.

Here are some pictures to help show the problem.

This is the side with the caliper that I replaced. This is a picture of the parking brake off.

This is a picture of the other side with the parking brake off to compare.

This a picture of the replaced caliper side with the parking brake on. Even like this I can freely turn the wheel hub.

This is the other side that did not have the caliper replaced, with the parking brake on.

Is this a caliper problem.? I did re bleed the whole brake system after this because the brake pedal didn't feel right. But it feels better after I bleed the system. Also the replaced caliper seem to work fine when I push on the brakes.

Terry Posten

The e-break is kind of fragile. Remove the cable and see if the shaft the nut screws down on (inside the return spring) is loose or kind of rotates out of round.

Bottom line is it is bad, tell Autozone to order you another one.

turbowop

This just happened to the driver's side rear caliper on 503. Went to a local store and parked and could smell hot brakes. Felt that wheel and it was hot as f***. Parking brake wouldn't disengage all the way. I messed with it yesterday and couldn't get it to disengage without a prybar. I disconnected the cable and adjusted the e-brake so that it would engage just the passenger side for now. I don't think anything other than a new caliper will fix it. And I just put these on a year ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thankfully, I noticed this problem before I went out on a long drive. Probably would have done some real heat damage on a freeway trip.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned