The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I'm assuming this is why the car dies..

dc_style

I posted a few weeks ago when I got 801 because it wasn't staying on. It would start up and run for a couple minutes, I could even drive it into my garage but then I would hear a click from the ecu and the fuel pump would cut out.. at least that's what I think.

Well, I finally got around to pulling the ecu out and this is what I found. I'm assuming it was the culprit. Now the question is, can I still salvage this? If not, what turbo ecu can be used to replace? I'm going to keep this guy stock so I don't care if it's eprom or not.. Thanks for the time guys.

IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6665.jpg

IMG_6669.jpg

IMG_6668.jpg

IMG_6670.jpg

Yep, that's exactly what happens when you don't heed the #1 Newbie post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

dc_style

Yea, that's what I looked into first. I bought it a month back and never got to wok on it til now. Is it salvageable?

Terry Posten

Most likely. Get it cleaned RIGHT NOW.

If you want, send it to me and I will take care of it.

I don't see anything wrong... just slap a little windex on it and hit it with a q-tip... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif
or... send it to terry and have it redone right.... your call

Hertz

Staff member
I'm going to archive this post. Awesome macro shots of the carnage. Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gimpin

to answer your question ... all 91-94 m/t turbo ecus will work fine

Quote:
all 91-94 m/t turbo ecus will work fine

Not necessarily true. Some of the later 1993/94 ECU's had full EGR and emissions stuff going on, so its best to restrict yourself to 1991/92 Federal ECU's, unless its an EPROM and you plan to change the code.

2of9

^^^x2. i'd say just get another 91-92 manual ecu. there should be a couple around. I know i've seen a couple locally. give that a try?

1990ggsxnj

I would just send it to Terry to get caps replaced and board cleaned up. That way you know it's done. (and done right I might add /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

91GSR

that is some epiqq ECU pwnage. that looks 20 times worse than mine and i thought mine was toast...holy crap thats icky lol

Nartanian

^ lol way to help him feel better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I know there's someone the does recaps and socketing on this board for really good price!

fivestardsm

Quoting boostforfun:
I don't see anything wrong... just slap a little windex on it and hit it with a q-tip... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif
or... send it to terry and have it redone right.... your call

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Widex? use alcohol, just dump a fouty to your hommies on it!

BTW, lets say that a friend of a friend has one that has some acid damage, not quite as bad as this. What would you suggest cleaning it with until I.. I mean he could get it sent in? I don't know if alcohol (or windex) would stop the acid, would it?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned