The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car runs for a few minutes then dies

kerry92gvr4

me and a buddy did my timing belt and water pump tonight and when we went to start it it wouldn't start. the car has always started before for me, i had a leaking water pump so i figured i would get this stuff done. figured out i wasn't getting any spark so i swapped in another transistor and it started. so i turned it off and and finished putting everything back together. then went to start it again and it wouldn't start again. disconnected the battery for a few minutes and then tried to start it and it started back up , ran fine for a few minutes then it dies again.... plug the old transistor back in and unplug the battery for a few and it starts with the old transistor, but misses. so swap in the other one again and it runs great for a few minutes , then dies.. you get the point... lol so what is going on here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

by the way, car is stock... besides maybe a 255 fuel pump??

andrew4g63

I would start by rechecking your timing marks. Sounds kinda like your timing might be off especially since all you did was a timing belt.

theevozero

I agree. If it ran before you touched it, logic says, it was something you did. Did you removed the cas? Is it possible that its 180 degrees out?

kerry92gvr4

Timing is perfect, like my op says it will run and run perfect for 5 minutes and then just die out, then it won't start again until I disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes. Anyone know what would make a car do that? The issue is not timing related.

mitsuturbo

Just checking.. what happens if you simply leave the vehicle alone for 10 minutes, rather than disconnecting the battery? Does it ONLY start after the batt has been disconnected for 10 minutes, even if it's been sitting for 30 minutes after dying?

Do you have ANY other significant mods done to the car that weren't mentioned? DSMlink? WBo2? MAFT? AFPR? Injectors?

I would also assume it was something you've done, however sometimes things go bad coincidentally and really throw you off. Address the situation as though you have NEVER touched the vehicle before.

Last edited:

JCorbo25

I'd also check the ECU caps and try a known good ECU if possible.

Could this be an alternator issue? Check your fuses? Maybe a short somewhere.

galantrevolution

Try a new CAS my car was the same will run for a few minutes then die, and other if you got a OBD 1 scanner look for any codes.

GSTwithPSI

Make sure you have your coolant temp sensor plugged in, and it is actually working. I had an issue similar to this. The car would start and run fine cold. Once it started to warm up, it would start running like crap and eventually die. I wouldn't restart until sitting for a while. Do you have a logger by chance, or something to check to see what the ECU is actually seeing temperature wise?

mistaVR4

Quoting mitsuturbo:
I would suggest trying a known good ECU as well. Maybe a different MPI relay too.

I would also suggest trying known good ECU, as well as other options mentioned.

dsm10o0

try another GOOD power transistor.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

i fixed one car where the coolant temp sensor had a broken ground wire and after the car got warm it would run like sh*t and die, took about 5-8 minutes, then it wouldn't restart till the motor, or sensor cooled down. i took half the wiring harness apart to find the brake in the line and fix it. then the car ran perfect.

kerry92gvr4

car is fixed, thank you everyone for all the info and ideas. It ended up being the transistor plug, full of corrosion. all it took was cleaning it up and car runs great now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned