The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Boost Creep with EBC?

Lonewolf64

I have been wondering/troubleshooting this issue for a while now. I cannot figure it out for the life of me.

I am running a TurboXS DTEC EBC (the one with the gameboy display). I have all the wiring set up correctly because all the functions of the EBC work. However, no matter what I set the target boost to, at exactly 5,000 rpm I creep to ~23psi. This happens in basically any gear, although since the creep is gradual, in 1st or 2nd there isn't enough time for there to be significant creep. However, in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear boost goes up and stays at 23psi no matter what I set the boost to.

At first, I had a reducer on the line from the boost solenoid to the wastegate because I wanted the line to the wastegate to be a tight fit so it wouldn't come off. Then, when I encountered this issue I thought it might have something to do reducer so I re-ran the line from the solenoid to the wastegate with no reducer. However, the boost creep is still there.

I've been looking at the plumbing diagram. The solenoid is 3 port: 1 port going to the wastegate, 1 going to a boost source, and one either routed to the intake preturbo or vented to the atmosphere (it says this in the instructions). I'm using a tap right off the intercooler pipe leading from the turbo (J pipe) for the boost source, and the third port is vented to the atmosphere. I don't see how routing port 3 to the intake rather than the atmosphere can change how the EBC acts under WOT to make it not creep. I don't think changing my boost source would change anything either since I'm basically getting boost right off the turbo outlet.

I'm running a full bolt on EvoIII 16g setup with all the supporting mods. To make things clear I was not experiencing boost creep with my old school Hallman MBC that I had before I installed the DTEC, so I know that the EBC is somehow causing this since that is the only thing that changed. Here is a link: click to the DTEC installation/instruction manual. To help visualize my setup, page 6 and 7 of that link is how I have my DTEC boost controller set up.

So guys, what do you think could be causing my problem? What should I try doing? I'm going to call TurboXS tomorrow and see what they have to say, but I also want the advice this board can give.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned