The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Revcounter signal for instrumentation (Gauges)

I have just finished installing megasquirt on my 4G63-T and the revcounter does not get any signal. Where does the rev gauges normal get the signal?

gtluke

the negative side of the coil is traditionally where you get the tach signal. there may be a better place specific to our cars, hopefully someone will chime in withe answer.

stevep

The ECU gets it RPM data from the CAS signals. It also gets a ignition pulse from the coil pack (pre-91) or the power transistor (91+) that is also used to drive the factory tach.

Steve

The ECU has it's tach signal but my revcounter in the dashboard does not get any signal - where should I connect my wire on the engine?

As SteveP above said, it depends whether you have the 1990-style coilpack and transistor, or the 1991+ style. The newer, 7-pin transistor has an extra "TAC" connection that pulls to ground everytime a coil fires. The 1990-style has a separate "TACH DRIVER" module attached to the coilpack that pulls the line to +12 volts everytime a coil fires. The ECU rpm signal is derived from the CAS signals, not the tach pulses.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned