†††GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » Crank but no start
Previous thread Next thread

Crank but no start

TheCookie

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244967 posted 12/23/18 03:08 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Hey guys, I want to start by saying this is the first time Iíve ever posted to a forum and just want to get some educated opinions as to what the issue could be with a car I am seriously contemplating buying. So Iíve got an excellent deal lined up on 92 vr4. BUT, he issue with the car is that it is cranking but will not start. The owner supposedly recently redid the engine (Iíll include a list of everything done below). He said it ran for a short period of time and then sputtered and died and has not started since. This being said, itís getting both fuel and spark and is in time. With both of those Iím not sure why it wouldnít be starting. He also told me it has compression. Iím pretty confused at this point as to what the issue could be unless the engine is junk and he is hiding it to try and move the car faster. Any opinions as to what could be going on are greatly appreciated. Also, assuming I get the car and get it started, if the trans is bad or grinds what other transmissions would be able to bolt right up and be good to go? Just donít want to think Iím getting a good deal and then shaft myself because I wasnít educated. Thanks in advance.

ACL bearings
New OEM pistons
3G lifters
ARP head studs
New valve seals
Rebuilt 14b stock turbo
Aluminum intercooler piping
Front mount intercooler
New exedy clutch and master cylinder
New OEM slave
Braided SS clutch line
Fidanza 11lb lightweight flywheel
Hawk performance streets pads
Slotted rotors
Braided SS brake lines
Walbro 190 pump
Battery relocated to the trunk
Custom exhaust
Volkswagon Scirocco radiator for more room under the hood
2 switched electric fans

Posts: 2 | From: Indianapolis, Indiana | Member Since: 12/23/18 | IP: (2601:800:8380:2e) | Report this post to a Moderator

thomcasey
I ain't no puny human
866/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244968 posted 12/23/18 07:44 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Verify the compression yourself if you can. And check the spark and plug wiring. As for Transmissions, an AWD manual from a 90-94 DSM (as long as it matches the transfer case splines) will bolt up.

Thom
866/1000 (PTE 1200's, billet 20g+, DSMLink v3, eagle/ross, .020 over, 272's, GC/AGX Coilovers)

Posts: 824 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Member Since: 09/24/14 | IP: (73.102.122.103) | Report this post to a Moderator

TheCookie

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244969 posted 12/24/18 01:20 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Thanks for the prompt response. Iím going to verify the compression, and spark both. Assuming everything is good and I canít find an obvious issue do you have any other idea what the issue could be? Iím driving three hours one way to see the car and donít want to go out there clueless and not really know what to do or what could be causing the issue.

Posts: 2 | From: Indianapolis, Indiana | Member Since: 12/23/18 | IP: (2601:800:8380:2e) | Report this post to a Moderator

iceman69510 Galant VR4.org Moderator
Turn Right Racing
855/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244971 posted 12/24/18 04:05 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
There could be a lot of electrical reasons why it may not start, but if it truly has spark, fuel and compression, it should go.

Typical failures for these cars are the fuel pump not running due to ECU capacitors failing. Otherwise, ECU can shut down due to bad sensors or wiring.

91 VR4 855 Nile Black
92 VR4 828 Belize Green-SOLD
91 VR4 115 Nile Black -SOLD

Posts: 10651 | From: Michigan | Member Since: 03/05/01 | IP: (2600:1702:5a0:37) | Report this post to a Moderator

transparentdsm
I have to say something dumb Member
138/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244974 posted 12/25/18 07:32 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
yeah i mean i bad ISC can fry the ECU and make the car not run so there is a lot of different reasons.

138/2000

Posts: 3527 | From: Klamath Falls, Or | Member Since: 07/27/11 | IP: (71.89.204.234) | Report this post to a Moderator

FlyingEagle Galant VR4.org Moderator
Eager Beaver

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244981 posted 12/26/18 12:16 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting thomcasey:

Verify the compression yourself if you can. And check the spark and plug wiring. As for Transmissions, an AWD manual from a 90-94 DSM (as long as it matches the transfer case splines) will bolt up.

As stated above, that timing check and compression check is KEY.

If it jumped time, and knocked the valves sideways - which it would with jumped timing, then it requires pulling the head and more. Removing the timing cover can show you if the pair of cams are still in time, but you could have had a jump at the crank, so check that physical timing mark looking down past the power steering pump. Get pictures of those before hand.

Get the owner to take a video and post it on YT, with a charged battery and cranking the motor to try to get it to start. There is usually a tell tale sound to a motor that has bent valves and is not making compression.
Are there any locals that can swing by and test it for you, before you make the trip. Someone may be close and know there way around the car. Offer to compensate the helper!

It is a lot of IF's, when you are not there in person.

C53A 1 of the ~1500

Edited by FlyingEagle (12/26/18 09:40 AM)

Posts: 1609 | From: THE Ottawa | Member Since: 03/05/05 | IP: (135.23.119.135) | Report this post to a Moderator

gvr4ever
Forever Member
347/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244986 posted 12/27/18 10:24 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
You could pull the top timing cover and rotate the engine to at least make sure the cam timing marks line up. Not sure what a good cold compression test should be, but they should all be close to even.

I once some how bumped my CAS connector when working on the car and created a no start problem.

I'd say if compression is good and the engine really is in time, no start issues would likely be bad ECU, CAS, TPS...

If the car is clean, and compression and engine time are fine, I'd use the no start issue to get the best price I could and I'd go for it.

1992 Nile black w/sunroof
15xK miles. 2nd owner since 1998

Posts: 5836 | From: central Indiana | Member Since: 08/06/02 | IP: (199.66.65.59) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 509

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.134 seconds in which 0.105 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page