The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rev limit of built 2.3 stroker???

slugsgomoo

you can get a better rod ratio in a 2.4L than a 2.3L by going with a long rod setup (156mm) and special pistons, but you're still not going to rev like a 2.0

I think kiggly has been running his 2.3 over 9500, but he has some sort of magic 4g63 voodoo going on.

belize1334

The short version:

You won't rev as high but you'll spool the turbo earlier and be able to make useful power LOWER in the RPM range.

If I were going for a big ass turbo I'd want a stroker PRECISELY for the reason that you wouldn't have to rev as high to get to the power. To my knowledge, this is why most of the big power evos are using the AMS 2.3L stroker kit. Big power is fun but if you don't make it until past 6k RPM then what's the point unless you are drag strip only?

JNR

Is this for a street car, btw? If so, then go for the torque and more useable power range (apples to apples, larger displacement always wins). Who cares what it revs to, except for bragging rights...As has been mentioned before (on this post maybe?), not only do you have to be concerned with the engine, but don't forget the drivetrain, tranny and all that, has to live up to 10k shifts and such...Sure, it would be cool, but these aren't hondas - they do make power lower down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

like said before its 1/4 mile/street/fun weekend car... im not planning on autox or anything like that... and like i said before if i can make similar power with a 2.3 stroker at 7.5-8k than i can with a 2.0 at 9+k then i could care less about rpm...

i just love the driveability and low end of my buddies 2.3 in his galant but i dont want to sacrifice my goals for that

Build a 2.3L 9:1 compression motor with a GT35R HTA and you'll get your goals accomplished and it will be a kick ass car!

Gordian79

So whats the point of reving motor past its peak HP RPM? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gifReving motor to 9000 and it makes its peak power at 8100(that was my peak HP rpm on my 2.3) doesn't make any sense because your not making any more power.Yes 2.3 will rev to 9k but why would you want to do that?

belize1334

You won't sacrifice ultimate power with a 2.3L. It's just a question of where and how YOU want to make that power. The 2.3L is torquier and thus makes it's power at LOWER RPM than the 2.0L but you will give up something in life-span (in principle) from the lower rod/stroke ratio. Me, I'm jonesing for one but some people who've had them advocate sticking with the 2.0L. One thing is certain though, at BIG power the 2.3L will be more drivable than the 2.0L since you won't have to wait as long for the turbo.

thanks for a definate answer RvlutionMtrsport

Last edited by a moderator:

never said i wanted to rev the 2.3 past 8k.. and it does make since if your almost through the 1/8th or the 1/4 to keep it in that gear and go a little past peak hp if possible rather than shifting

Quoting belize1334:
You won't sacrifice ultimate power with a 2.3L. It's just a question of where and how YOU want to make that power. The 2.3L is torquier and thus makes it's power at LOWER RPM than the 2.0L but you will give up something in life-span (in principle) from the lower rod/stroke ratio. Me, I'm jonesing for one but some people who've had them advocate sticking with the 2.0L. One thing is certain though, at BIG power the 2.3L will be more drivable than the 2.0L since you won't have to wait as long for the turbo.

i also want to see opinions on y they would stick with the 2.0 with people who have had experience with both...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned