The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car starts then dies, then won't start.

dougmacho

Have some issues, hoping I can pick your brains a bit.

Has a new coolant temp sensor also rewired it because it was brittle. Car starts fine when cold, then dies when I put it into gear. Revs start to die when shifter is in gear, does not dies when clutch is depressed. Doesn't startup after that. Checked out ECU, doesn't seem to be leaking. Spark plugs are black but not doused with fuel, as in failed CTS conditions. I have a walboro in a jhm fuel cell, should I be able to hear the pump when key is in "on" position? Have a few pressure guage that reads right. I have DSM link with full bolt ones, wideband and speed density.Please help with any suggestions! Thanks.

How do I rule out the CAS, ISC and MPI relay?

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
First off, fuel pump does not run until cranking.

Next I would check all your electrical connections.

Others will need to chime in further.

MoeJz

I have a same issue or maybe similar.
- I start the car and let it idle for 15 minutes or so, then car starts to slowly die and shuts off.
Then the start up is hard and revving it doesn't do anything.
After reading through multiple threads and diagnostics it appears to be the CAS is done on mine.
CAS is also refereed to synchronizer from what i found. I have yet to order one and replace.

mitsuturbo

Quoting dougmacho:

CAS is almost always Go/No-go. ISC shouldn't cause the car to not start. MPI relay could be flaky, but you'd hear it click, most likely. Do your TPS values range from .6ish to 5v? What MAF are you running?

Nabeel

It seems SD setup not correct. You might recheck the assigned pin and captured values.

transparentdsm

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Quoting dougmacho:

CAS is almost always Go/No-go. ISC shouldn't cause the car to not start. MPI relay could be flaky, but you'd hear it click, most likely. Do your TPS values range from .6ish to 5v? What MAF are you running?

could a burnt ISC driver in the ECU cause this?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings