The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Idles then dies

dsm10o0

Hey guys, just got my first galant put back together after getting it in pieces. Problem is the car starts up fine and
idles for about 3 or so minute the dies out of nowhere. It has new ngk plugs proerly gapped, changed plug wires, changed cam sensor, power tansistor, injectors, and mas. The car isn't throwing any cel codes. When reved an little, it chokes a bit then goes. Anyone know how to fix or had the same problem?pretty lost right now trying to figure it out.

SouthCaliVR4

will it only do the three min idle cold or is this what it does every time you start it hot or cold?

bmod530

Hey SouthCali, Where you at in North County SD? I'm here in Escondido...I just finished 88/2k up, and will be heading back to Michigan in 2 weeks. You free on any weekends? I hear you have been a member for a while, and I could use some pointers. LMK

SouthCaliVR4

thread jack on; up in fallbrook, was thinking of heading down to escondildo on fri, used to live there & went to orange glen for a year. someone told me the cruising scene was back, other guy said it was kinda jack but I figgured I'd have a look for myself. interested in meeting up somewhere? thread jack off.

dsm10o0

Hot or cold, it does the same thing. I'll be changing the tb today to see if helps, the one
currently on has a messed up biss screw and can't be turned.

dsm10o0

Update: Got the TB changed out and it doesnt die anymore. Now, it dies when the MAS is plugged in. If unplugged, it idles good but wont pass a certain RPM.

broxma

First off, a car dying is almost always caused by a lean condition if there is no catastrophic issue involved. It runs with the MAS unplugged because it dumps fuel since it has no airflow count to work with. Check Base FP, Injector flow, etc, and looks for a intake leak by way of a intake pressure test at the turbo compressor inlet. Specifically if you have a stock BOV vented to ATM, the car will often die either at idle or off throttle.

If you had the ability to tune the car and tried to fix it electronically before the TB change, of course that would be a possible issue as well.

Is it throwing a code of any sort?

/brox

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned