The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

cam selection

BENE38A

My head is off being ported polished and a valve job so i'm going to pick out a cam.
Have been dead set on the kelford tx272
click
my port man has suggested a crower 272, from his experience think's the kelford could be to aggressive for my setup, i'm aiming for 600whp using an evo or 2g 7 bolt head with standard size valves and some good money invested in portwork, just reading the blurb about the basic cam details bar the technical details it fits my direction and rather than ask "what should I buy?", who has or is building something along the same lines and or has experience with both or one of these cams, i have the KVS63-BTK spring kit
and obviously any other cam suggestions are welcome.

prove_it

I'm at around the 325whp on kelford 264 and I really love them. I haven't swapped in mulitple cams to compare, but the 264's really woke up the midrange and I could see pushing them to 500whp. Not sure why your guy thinks they would be too aggressive for a 600whp build. My buddy had the 282s and he said it's what was needed to get 615whp in his.

gvr4144

I have crower 264/272 and they are great with my 2.3 stroker hoping to make around 500hp+ with my turbo swap I imagine you would be fine with either especially with a high flowing 2g head.

BENE38A

I to don't see why it wouldn't be a good pick, guy knows his stuff but I guess people have their preferences. He uses alot of crower.

EMX5636

I put down 508whp at 31psi on my little 5857 Precision with Crower (not Brian Crower) 272's and springs. If I remember, I'll post they dyno chart later, but no fall off up top, even spinning to almost 8500rpm. Midrange is good, spool is pretty good, and they idle pretty nice. You could definitely push them to 600whp, as I'm sure with some more boost, a turbine housing swap, and more meth has probably gotten me close to the mid 500's.

EMX5636

The Kelfords are a very nice cam as well.... but I've heard from many more than 1 trusted source that they are midrange/spool killers but run remarkably up top.

BENE38A

I have no doubt that either cam will help me make the power but for streetability which is a huge factor in this build the crower seems a better choice, still not to late to go for more displacement yet either.
I went with the crower, money isn't a contributing factor on the build, if I have it I spend it if I don't ill save it but the crowers are alot cheaper, $250 cheaper and I have no concerns with quality on these.
appreciate the input guys will no doubt see results some time next year......all going to plan that is.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Quoting EMX5636:
The Kelfords are a very nice cam as well.... but I've heard from many more than 1 trusted source that they are midrange/spool killers but run remarkably up top.

FP3052 here. Kelford 272s. 8.5:1 CR. Turbo spools fully at 4600rpm (starting in 3rd gear at 2500rpm WOT, same results in 4th). Pulls hard to about 8k. I actually raised my revlimit to 8750 because i was bouncing off of it at 8250 too often. Power just didn't feel like it was dropping off enough to warrant shifting yet in the high 7k range.

Turbowop has lower CR, same turbo, very similar intake setup, HKS 272s. Maybe he can chime in with where his turbo kicks in fully and where it feels like power starts to drop off and a shift is necessary...

Anybody else?

Brianawd

Here is the dyno sheet from my 2.0 3052/HKS272/9.0:1/e85 motor. This motor is now in slugs car

Dyno slows spool done. On the street with dsmlink logs showed full boost 30psi at 3600-3700rpms

slugsgomoo

I need to log it in 3rd but I really haven't had a chance to do real tuning yet. In 2nd I'm seeing 16psi around 4500 with a T4 T67, and so far I've not logged a huge power drop even up past 8500. We'll see how it looks once I actually get some time to dial it in.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned