The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

pros and cons of mechanical oil pressure gauge?

thedsmguy

I can think of a pro, more reliable (no sensor to break etc).
Con, oil in the cab of the car.

But its pretty unlikely to leak and if it did pretty unlikely to catch fire or anything I'd assume.

Last edited:

fuel

pro:
it's cheap

con:
chance of leaking coating the interior and yourself with oil (I have seen this happen a few times before)
thick heavy line going from engine to gauge
it's cheap

electric gauges are perfectly reliable, and just look so much classier.

boostedinaz

I had a mechanical gauge in my first truck with the stock nylon line Autometer supplies and it worked great for years. I also put one in 1101 years ago when I first had it but this time I used the copper line from Autometer instead of nylon. The gauge has been in the car for almost 4 years and never leaked a drop. As for the bulky line it is no more bulky than a line for a boost gauge or wires for an EBC.

boostedinaz

Quoting thedsmguy:
And, where is the proper place to get the signal/feed from?

I took out one of the allen head "screws" that block the ports in the OFH and used that. It took a few adapters to get it the way I want but it worked well. I can snap some pics tonight if you want.

vtecds1

^^^How hard is it to get the plugs out of the OFH. I`m reinstalling mine tonight to the 3/8 port because the PO decide to feed the turbo off the unfiltered one.

boostedinaz

It was kind of a pain. They were in supper tight and had some sort of loctite on them. I used a new allen wrench and put a long closed end wrench on the other side for leverage.

Street Surgeon

Use a FRESH allenhead wrench, heat that SOB up with a torch, and go at it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vtecds1

Great!!! Hopefully i dont start a fire. My inlaw is going to choke me silly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

My car has had the cheap nylon line for years and it hasn't leaked. I recently bought the copper line and will install that at the next oil change. It's not rocket science, as long as you run the line clear of anything and make sure you get a tight seal on the fitting to gauge, there shouldn't be any oil getting in the cabin. I suspect those who have experienced a failed line and oil in the cabin bought a cheap gauge or did a half assed install.

click

click

I found it at a local pep boys for about 12 bucks.

vr4play

I had a electrical gauge and the sender went bad and I about lost my mind. I got a mechanical gauge and used the dumb nylon hose and it broke were it was coming out of the oil filter housing. I am using a -4 stainless braided hose and have had no issues for 10 years.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned