The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

WTB: Lower engine oil container

prove_it

Looking to buy a clean oil pan. No dents, no rust. Minor paint flaws are fine. Don't care if the drain plug threads are trash or not.

Pm with what you have, will not buy without pics please send with PM or text to 605-431-7038.

Price quote shipped to 57105 commercial address.

Thank you,
Ryan

89Mirageman

Not sure how well they fit but Rockauto sells them brand new very reasonable.

prove_it

I was curious about the aftermarket ones. Anyone tried one?

GSTwithPSI

Lol. I tried 2 of them in a month. I purchased a new one from O'Reilly's. It was a Spectra Premium brand aftermarket pan. It was about $70 bucks new. The first new one lasted a week before I threw a rod through it. Before that it was great though. I bought a second one afterwards, and it worked fine also. Identical to the OEM pan I replaced inside and out. It fit good, and the turbo drain lined up/bolted up fine too. You can check my build thread for 1813, I have a bunch of pics of it installed.

click

click

If you don't wanna drop that kind of cash, I think I may have a used one in decent shape. PM me if you want to go that route, and I'll try and dig it up.

Last edited:

G

Staff member

Struc

Got one of those Spectra pans sitting BNIB in my garage, waiting for me to install it. They do look nice, and appear to be OEM quality build.

BogusSVO

+3 and +4 on the spetcra oil pan.

I needed 2 oil pans for engine builds, I ordered in 2

They look fine, and minimal rail distortion, and have a decent heft to them.

6 bolt part number is CRP14B

Bought mine thu advanced Auto.

prove_it

Well if you say they are good Bogus, then I'll probably go that route. Considering how anal you are on your engine builds, it's gotta work good.
DO you know if these are powder coated or painted?

G

Staff member
Read my description.

89Mirageman

Funny thing is that oil pan was around $60 on amazon when you posted that a while back. They went up quite a bit.

BogusSVO

They look painted on the outside with over spray on the inside.

Mine from Advanced auto parts were $62 plus shipping

They are not coated on the inside like the factory ones.

Other than the inside coating, they look just like the factory pans.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I bought a Spectra, and fit etc. was fine, but I can't get it to stop dripping from the drain plug. If it has some kind of flaw, I did not see it before installation and obviously hard to address anything when on the car (not to mention the Arctic winter we are having...). I am ready to find a used good condition one, or put back the one I took off (after figuring out how to straighten the flange to seal better).

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Just read on the Rock Auto link that the pan has a decent warranty. Maybe I will pursue that.

Struc

Still slightly under $60 on Rockauto.com, but you have to factor in shipping (and tax for me).

Looks like price may be going up since availability is low. Advance Auto Parts is out of them, and Amazon doesn't have them (so no Prime shipping) - they only have them available from 3rd party sellers.

Paid $63 for mine at Amazon a few months back.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting iceman69510:
I bought a Spectra, and fit etc. was fine, but I can't get it to stop dripping from the drain plug. If it has some kind of flaw, I did not see it before installation and obviously hard to address anything when on the car (not to mention the Arctic winter we are having...). I am ready to find a used good condition one, or put back the one I took off (after figuring out how to straighten the flange to seal better).

Did it come with a new drain plug? Maybe you could just swap out the drain plug? Of the 2 Spectra pans I had, neither of them had this problem. I'd guess this is probably an isolated issue, unless someone else had this problem too?

andrew4g63

I have never installed a 4g63 spectra pan but I have installed a ton on other types of cars.
All the pans seem to fit good I think I may have had one or two that needed some pry bar coaxing to
get all the pan bolts lined up.
To what iceman said about leaking plug I have seen quite a few leaking plugs from new spectra pans.
It always seemed like the plug that comes with the pan leaks.
I've fixed all the drain plug leaks with a new OEM style drain plug.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I did not like the plug that came with it, but as it was the correct OE thread, I put a new OE plug and washer in it. Still leaks. Tried new washer again, still leaking. With the terrible winter we are having here and my ridiculous commute, I have not had a chance to look at it closely.

G

Staff member
Try one of these in the correct size. They work great. click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned