The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wiring in a stutter box

You really just need a few feet of wire. ..and if you you don't mind that your car will start w/o the clutch in, you can just use one wire. There's a VFAQ of the setup on the TMO site.

cool, but i was told there was a diod i need to put in the line. is this true? also for the clutch wires on the TMO site they say to cut the green wire, but on my car there are two black ones. one with organe strip and the other with white. what one do i cut and do i need the diod?

Im looking for a clutch wire for 2 step epom ecu, I bought the chiped ecu from my friend but he didnt have the wire for the two step, so now i need one. Let me know if anyone out there has one.
Thanks

[ 07-27-2004, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: turbogalant ]

steve

quote:Originally posted by atc250r:
Didn't Jeff send you directions, Steve? I know I got some from him when I got my first chip.

John
Yeah, that stuff has been floating around so long that I lost them. I figured I'd just use the instructions from TMO anyways, but didn't realize there were GVR4 intricacies.
banghead.gif

Yes, the GVR-4 wire is black/red striped. Also, if you want to keep the starter interface, just go to Radio Shack and buy any 1N4000 series diode, like a 1N4004, or whatever. Cut the black/red striped wire, solder the end of it that connects to the clutchswitch connector to the banded end of the diode, AND also to the wire you run over to pin #104. Then, solder the other end of the diode to the other end of the black/red striped wire you cut off.

steve

quote:Originally posted by DuckButterRacing DSM:
cool, but i was told there was a diod i need to put in the line. is this true? also for the clutch wires on the TMO site they say to cut the green wire, but on my car there are two black ones. one with organe strip and the other with white. what one do i cut and do i need the diod? Damn, I was hoping to find the answer to this. TMO's site does indeed say you will find a green wire, but my car also has 2 black wires. Anyone got the answer? (I'll keep searching)

The answer is in a keydiver post on this site. I JUST had it the other day. Search and I'll see if I can find it too

https://www.galantvr4.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004116#000001

"Just cut the black/red wire in half, and leave it hang for now. When you get my chip, just splice a piece of wire on to the end of the wire that is still connected to the clutchswitch and run it over to pin 104 of the ECU. Just remember to also cut the black wire COMPLETELY LOOSE from pin 104, do not just vampire clamp into the wire.
With the wire cut off the switch, you will be able to start the car without pushing in the clutch, but the switch will still be functional for the stutterbox. You will NOT need the diode kit, since you are no longer connecting the ECU and starter relay together."

steve

quote:Originally posted by Pivvay:
https://www.galantvr4.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004116#000001

"Just cut the black/red wire in half, and leave it hang for now. When you get my chip, just splice a piece of wire on to the end of the wire that is still connected to the clutchswitch and run it over to pin 104 of the ECU. Just remember to also cut the black wire COMPLETELY LOOSE from pin 104, do not just vampire clamp into the wire.
With the wire cut off the switch, you will be able to start the car without pushing in the clutch, but the switch will still be functional for the stutterbox. You will NOT need the diode kit, since you are no longer connecting the ECU and starter relay together."
icon14.gif
Awesome. I did find that eventually. This should go in the how-to since its obviously an obvious point of confustion. Everyone uses TMO's write up and then scratches their head while laying upside down in the drivers seat like "wtf? I don't have a green wire".

Thanks for your help!

atc250r

Staff member
Didn't Jeff send you directions, Steve? I know I got some from him when I got my first chip.

John

To my understanding, the stutterbox is hooked up to the bottom switch on the clutch, like whenever you push the pedal to the floor, it engages the stutter box. This is fine for launching but for the shifting clutch cut, it means you have to push the pedal to the floor quickly when you shift.

Is there an easy way to wire the stutter box to the top switch? Like, so whenever the clutch isnt at the top of its travel it will be in stutter mode? Could you just wire it up the same way you would wire up your bottom switch?

Im not sure if these two switches act oppositely, but if the top switch is open when the clutch pedal is down, this should work.

Clay,
Yes, you could use the cruise switch, but I believe it is the opposite logic of the bottom switch. It grounds the one wire when the clutch is pushed in, instead of it being grounded when the clutch is out, as the starter interface switch does. However, I CAN reverse the logic in the chip, if you are game to experiment. You just need to figure out which wire is which. According to the schematic, there is a black wire, and a green wire with a black stripe. The black wire is ground, so the wire you want to cut is the green/black striped wire. You install the diode the same way, with the banded end toward the switch.
Let me know if anyone wants to play with this.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts