The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Whos driven new or fully stock vr4s?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I don't think this car was boring and slow when new, and I don't necessarily feel it is even now., especially in comparison to what was available in the day. My daily is not 100% stock, as I have a 3g maf, Evo 8 injectors and a K& N, but the turbo is a fairly worn 14b with stock boost control. Sure, many basic sedans can out accelerate it now, but can still be fun driven properly. To go with cheeky's comments, I intend to add a larger FMIC this summer and maybe eventually a 16g.

I remember driving one for the first time circa 1994 I believe, and it was a fun, stable, capable car. Certainly more fun under boost, and definitely a little different in engine power characteristics than the Taurus SHO I almost bought, or the Maxima I considered also (but boo hoo, I truly ended up with a minivan at the time...when child 3 arrived).

prove_it

Bought both of mine bone stock. That's how I like it. First one at 18 in 2002, feel in love. Topped it out at 130mph after handing the check over. Was a huge improvement over my celica. At the time I thought it was fast, oh how I've I was far from it. lol

MellowVR4

when i had 578/2000 it was super stock, it was just like a normal car. only thing i did to it was replace the stock struts for some kyb's gr2's but everything else was stock.

ktmrider

Both of mine were pretty much stock when I got them. Probably the reason I've had such good "luck" with em, no hack-job or eGay million HP mod crap to sort out by the previous owner(s).

86/2000 had a hugely cracked stock EM and equally roached 14b turbo. Swapped them out then moved into a chip/injector/FP/MAF upgrade. Exhaust came next then suspension and appearance items.

464/1000 was all stock too. Good 1g EM and 14b so I did the same mods as 86. 18psi, loving every moment.

JNR

I remember clearly when they came out and they had good performance for the day and always thought it was a neat car...While I test drove brand new Lasers (DSM ones, not the ones before) and Eclipses, don't really recall seeing new VR-4's on the lot, so never had a chance to drive one...back then it would've been neat and I pretty much test drove just about everything then, just never one of those...by today's standards, would seem to be slow and boring, but if it were a clean, low mileage example, it would be neat in that way to drive one.

But, a modified one done right is way more fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm talking about something like mine where it puts out good power, but can be driven anywhere at anytime. However, I've gotten spoiled by other cars, so the drive to finish this one (correcting a bad part I bought off somebody that fukked my car's electronics up) has diminished, but I still want to drive it again.

Last edited:

5OF2k

"But, a modified one done right is way more fun I'm talking about something like mine where it puts out good power, but can be driven anywhere at anytime. However, I've gotten spoiled by other cars, so the drive to finish this one (correcting a bad part I bought off somebody that fukked my car's electronics up) has diminished, but I still want to drive it again."

Exactly. I've driven my share of stock DSMs in the past, and comparatively theyre actually very comfy cars IMHO. In fact, when I picked up #5 I was extremely pleased and surprised at how solid it felt and how quiet it was inside (rattle-wise). Even though it has a 3" exhaust on it, it was still extremely bearable, and the fact that it didnt have a radio in it at the time really gave me an appreciation of the car, and honestly is a main factor in why I fell for the car.

Performance-wise, being as its fairly modified, I was also impressed. BUT, this is coming from driving all-motor Hondas daily for about 4-5 years since my last turbo/AWD car...

While mine is a fairly clean and well-kept example of these cars, it does have its quirks. BUT, that being said I can honestly see what their charm and strong points would be way back nearly 23years ago when they started showing up at stealerships. Would've been AWESOME to drive one in it's fresh-off-the-showroom-floor glory.

-Jake

JNR

yeah, it's been awhile since I've driven mine (long story), but I do recall it have A LOT of power, but it was still a 4-banger without boost, so had to be creative sometimes to always be in the right gear (you get ruined when you drive hipo V8's with torque everywhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), but when it spooled, damn was it fun.

Mine has full 3" exhaust too and is sort of loud, but not overbearing and added to the experience..I do miss the stereo in the car though ?(nice aftermarket system) and the car is really comfortable and rides nice (even on the stiffer setting of the Konis). Nice thing about it in rain is the traction it has, but it's rare we get any weather here though, but still a nice feature to have (awd).

MellowVR4

I remember the first time i saw a gvr4, it was epic, i was in high school and their was a shop down the street. it was belize green,the guy wanted 4500 and he knew exactly what it was. I instantly fell in love, took for a test drive and it felt really good and special, considering it was super stock, but it felt so good that i will never forget it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian M

My first GVR4 in '98 was bone stock. Like everyone else said,slow and boring as hell-although not as slow as it felt because with the the AWD it didn't have the power to burn the tires (the boring part.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif) which tends a car "feel" fast. Danny (turbo4door1) bought his at the same time,his ran 14.70s bone stock,and they ran pretty similar on the street.

Quote:
I do think about what the car would be like with just the 14b, hard pipes, exhaust...

Mine ran high 12's in that form back in the day,plus fuel pump and Starquest IC. Doesn't take much to make these things feel WAY better than stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

RedTwo

Mine was stock-ish when I picked it up from a dodgy car dealer.
King lowering springs and some random 15" wheels.

Once I sorted out all the other bits that were broken it was nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

BpuVR4

Quoting Ian M:
My first GVR4 in '98 was bone stock. Like everyone else said,slow and boring as hell-although not as slow as it felt because with the the AWD it didn't have the power to burn the tires (the boring part.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif) which tends a car "feel" fast. Danny (turbo4door1) bought his at the same time,his ran 14.70s bone stock,and they ran pretty similar on the street.

Quote:
I do think about what the car would be like with just the 14b, hard pipes, exhaust...

Mine ran high 12's in that form back in the day,plus fuel pump and Starquest IC. Doesn't take much to make these things feel WAY better than stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ever see how much you were putting down with those mods?

i also feel like getting a vr4 that has passed through a few hands in short amount of time are the ones that may really be headaches until one owner sticks with it long enough to sort out all the problems, even the little ones. I'm planning on doing just that with 972, as Im definitely more in tune with the 4g63 after the other two, and back then I wasn't using the internet as much to troubleshoot.

Ian M

Quote:
ever see how much you were putting down with those mods?

No,I never did. At that time,I hadn't even bought a Pocketlogger yet. (When I did,I realized the 450's were WAY maxxed out,and I ran it that way for years.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif)

On the scale at my local track,it was 3550 with me in it (I think the scale might have been a tad heavy) and trapped 105mph,not sure what that works out to.

Fish

My vr4 is bone stock right now and feels pretty fast compared to my base model 91 galant. But sadly my brothers 95 civic with a b18c swap will walk all over my vr4.

Armitage

Mine was bone stock when I got it. For its time, the car was pretty special. You have to keep in mind there has been a ridiculous horsepower war over the last decade. Back in those days, soccer moms didn't need 300 horsepower in their appliances and 5.0 Mustangs put out about the same power figures as our 2.0s did bone stock. Think about that for a second.

cheekychimp

^^^ Exactly! It's pretty amazing how well these cars do with minimum mods even 20 years down the road. They must have been very fast in comparison back in the 90s.

Nate

I drove either 996/1000 or 997/1000 when they were new at the mitsu dealer in Wilkes Barre, Pa, in 1992. The trans felt just as notchy as the one in my 91, even when that car had 17 miles on it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned