The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What kind of fmic setup are you running?

524of1000

The Evo FMIC will flow better than the Ebay core. It has more fins/inch compared to the ebay core. No I'm not just saying this, yes I've run both.

Brunoboy

I got both of my Evo fmic cores for free step brother and homie, they both replaced their intercoolers with bigger fmic that utilize the stock end tank locations so that their piping would match as if it were a stock intercooler. With that being said I think you can use any core made for an Evo with the stock location end tanks and flip them with the jonvr4 kit.

bahahahaha! I misread that and thought you meant that a guy by the name of jonvr4 flipped his evo fmic. So I just sent jonvr4 on here a pm lol oops!

Brunoboy

oh he made a short run production of a FMIC kit that uses a Evo Intercooler upside down.

bmxr152

Ive got an EVO 3 fmic made to fit, worked pretty good actually. Here are some pics.

broxma

Before I was able to get my current FMIC setup made, I used an Evo FM but I modified the hotside pipe.

ogbfcm.jpg

I shot it up next to the radiator so the stock location pipe essentially went right into it. Here is a better picture.

352hnkp.jpg

That has been replaced with a Custom Bell Intercooler core and custom pipe setup.

2n3jwg.jpg

I just put an ETS Core on my Evo actually. It is only 3" thick which is not a lot bigger than stock, but the frontal area is much larger and the welds look clean. The quality of the core is very good. The top has a 3/16 top plate with external channels on both top and bottom. The bottom has a brace spanning the lower section, which does pretty much block most of that external channel however. I didn't buy it, but for the 499.00 retail I guess it is alright.

/brox

belize1334

I'll make my periodic Water-Air pitch. With this most recent variation I've got a ~300in^3 water/air core and a front heat exchanger that's about 240in^3 with a front area of about 200in^2. From my calcuations this should perform about like an ETS street setup with charge temps in the 120*F range under full boost on a mild turbo. Best of all, if your AC is removed it fits with NO CUTTING OF THE BUMPER since the front heat exchanger fits between the bumper and the radiator in the space left after pull the condenser.

Broxma, that setup is exactly what I'd like to do! What was your reason for changing cores?

Belize1334, I like everything about that water/air setup except I'm not very familiar with it and I think that's probably more of a project than I'd like to take on at this point.

broxma

Let's just say price was the biggest thing which made me change, being that it was free. I only had the Evo core on temporarily to get the car moving. The initial intention was the custom core.

/brox

im using a slowboy racing 1g talon FMIC, with the end tanks capped and re welded for a gvr4.

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

this is the only pic i have saved of it installed.

dmj

I am Running The CX Racing Ebay special. 3 in thick core. the welding cost me more than the parts as I did one section at a time.

[?id=123553&width=400[/img][/url]

Last edited:

ok, i see everyone is running the upper intercooler pipe over the exaust manifold. is there any way to NOT to do this? as i know the heat near the manifold is high, and defeats the purpose

Boostdtalon

Yes it usually involves running a 1g DSM FMIC setup. Reclocking the turbo is really all thats required. If you plan on running the HX-35 than when you do you piping just clock the turbo inlet down and run it underneath. There was a thread about not going over the top a while back. I'll see if I can dig it up.

dmj

It defeats nothing. that why you have an intercooler to cool the air coming off the turbo and a heat shield over the exhaust manifold .Are you going to put a heat shield over your down pipe because that where your piping is going to be sitting next to unless you run it true 1G dsm style where both pipes run on the passenger side of the car.

Brunoboy

The intercooler isnt doing its job if the cold side is the same temp as the hot side. If it were to go over the top, Just like my JonVr4 Kit, or ETS's kit, it would be cooled by the FMIC, so it shouldnt matter if it goes over or under.

asmo

Here's mine I choose to use a smaller cooler, I could'nt bring myself to cut up 1605.
It works great with my 14b the Cooler measures 25"x10"x2"and fits behind the stock bumper.
I just cut and used the stock hoses for now.

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting vr4er:
ok, i see everyone is running the upper intercooler pipe over the exaust manifold. is there any way to NOT to do this? as i know the heat near the manifold is high, and defeats the purpose

You can run the comp housing to ic pipe below the manifold, that's how mine is and I like the look better, cleaner IMO, not to mention with a vented hood you don't have that pipe blocking air flow from the radiator.

As for the heat, no way to get around it, pipe on top over the mani or pipe below mani it still is in a vicinity with tons of heat (manifold and radiator, down pipe etc). I tried to control the heat as best I could by getting a jdm vented hood and by wrapping that ic pipe and my entire exhaust system including manifold with thermotec heat wrap.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned