The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What I will be doing next week.

Terry Posten

I have a Fastenal place just down the street. Will hit them up 1st thing tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Terry Posten

Spent 5 hours cleaning the looms, re-taping, securing, routing, etc... Things are getting to the point where I can stop on the chassis and prep the motor. It needs the oil pan gasket resealed and a good cleaning. Then I just have to wait until I get the tranny back and the clutch sorted.

Things should be real clean when the motor is in.

Terry Posten

Motor is clean and pan gasket redone. Broke the plastic handle on my new 2G dipstick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Reinstalled the IC core and hood latch stuff. Ordered a new Scirocco radiator, should be here Monday. Can't mount the oil cooler until I see exactly where the new radiator will sit. Pretty much coming to a standstill for a little bit.

Need to bleed the brakes but need Kevin's help. Maybe get to that this weekend.

I will wait to reinstall the front bumper until the motor/tranny is back in.

Looking good.

2g dipsticks suck, Ive broken one before.... on someone elses car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Terry Posten

I got the new radiator in today. Along with the oil cooler. Did the wiring harness, basically just redid the factory harness with new wiring and a different thermo switch.

I think the car is ready now for the motor and trans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is a stock replacement Scirocco radiator (ebay = $61.00 shipped) and it has two pins that point down. I drilled holes in the core support and used large rubber grommets to protect it. Then two screws hold the radiator to the upright supports (had to make one bracket) with rubber isolator washers. Already had the fans (not really the best setup but I just used what I had). I still need to cap off the over flow nipple on the rad because I will be using the nipple on the TEL T-stat housing but that wont take 5 minutes later.

89Mirageman

Looks great man! McMaster-Carr has the cable ties that you need, just search for "mountable cable ties". Also for an added touch I grab a roll of yellow electrical tape from Lowes and wrap various places on the harness for that "oem" look. Here is my turbo dsm harness that I modded to go in my swapped colt.

Terry Posten

I don't want the yellow under the hood.

In that last few days, I have been just filling time by working on the coolant piping since the new radiator needs the TEL water neck and such. I have also remade my cold air box. It is a fully enclosed box and gets its air from below. I also have to push the MAS down as far as possible so the new rad hose does not interfere with the MAS to turbo piping. The new box turned out well but I may remake the top lid after I get a little more sheet metal.

I got my new lower front motor mount from Energy Suspension and had a hell of a time getting the old insert pressed out. Ended up using a sawzall and put two cuts into the inner ring so it could just pop out. That worked well.

I have also started to prep the frame rails so I can weld the rail ties that Curtis made last year. Might as well get that done while I wait for the tranny.

I also sent my Clutchnet PP and disc out to them for new buttons and a new PP surface. The ACT FW will be dropped off at the machine shop this next week to be freshen up.

By the time I get this car back together, the only thing that will be left over from the factory car will be the front calipers and the drive shaft. Every other part of the car has been either upgraded, replaced, restored/repainted, etc...

I wonder what I will find to do next? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i stopped over to drop off an x-case and i can't tell you how clean and awesome terry's car is!! i'm glad i got to see it up close and its gonna be a billion times nicer than mine.

Terry Posten

Thanks Dave, but don't get down on yourself or your car. I had a much better shape car to start with than you do.

I am just glad that you have taken on that project and are bringing pride back to that car. Can't wait to see yours in a year or two. Remember, I have been working on mind for 5+ years.

Keep up the good work.

Terry Posten

Might as well add a few pics. New air box and front mount.

Terry Posten

Finally getting back to the project. Transmission/T-case will be in my hands on Sunday. I just got an El-Cheapo 110v welder (no gas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)from my dad and my very first project was the front top engine mount. I cut the "J" off and boxed in the end for strength. I had to adjust the wire feed a little tighter because it was slipping but for my very first weld, I'd say I did pretty well.

The paint is drying so I will take a pic tomorrow.

I hope to have this thing running in a week.

Terry Posten

Pics of front top mount.

DR1665

This thread is so full of win.

Thank you for sharing all this information, Terry. Many of the "little" things I've been mulling over for the front end of the rally car, you've resolved in this thread. $60 scirocco radiator? Check. "Mountable" zip ties? Check. Upgraded motor mounts? Check. Hopefully I can replicate some of your work on 195/2000 later this summer.

Kudos.

alansupra94

Did you paint the car with automotive grade spray or rattle can?

Sorry if I miss that post somewhere. I didn't see it but I might have misses it as I am blind sometimes.

Terry Posten

The car was painted last spring Summit White professionally. I broke the car down to the external shell and the painter sprayed every part separately and then I reassembled it.

I painted the engine bay with rattle can this spring.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Motor is in. The new top and front profane mounts were a HUGE PITA.

Good thing I had 4 guys to muscle it into place.

I will now work on the little things over the next few nights after the mid-day heat cools off.

Found I have a bad clutch slave (leaking at the piston) and I broke the upper timing cover.

Oh well, the slave is a lifetime part and the upper timing covers are cheap.

More later.

Haha Terry needs to watch his aim with the dead blow hammer. Or the upper timing covers need to not jump in his way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry Posten

Very funny Luke...

I took the slave to Autozone, paid $40 for it 3 years ago. They are now only $23. They ordered a new slave and refunded me $17. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

That is AWESOME. Paid for most of my Mobile 1 oil from Wal-Mart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.

The biggest car show of the QCA area is June 12th. I am going to try and enter it into the import class...

Hope I can get it ready by then.

Terry Posten

click

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned