The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What a good short shifter?

4thStroke

The JNZ piece has been talked about before.

Quoting DSSA:
Yep, the one part we start out with is from the 3KGT, which we buy new from Mitsu.

You also have to have adapter bushings machined to allow it to fit into a DSM/GVR4, new standard bushings from Mitsu, remove the larger pin for the shifter, use another machined bushing to center the new, smaller pin, make the smaller pin (yes, just cut to proper length, and center-drill for the cotter pin, but that takes time as well), reweld everything together using jigs, and re-angle the lower piece for clearancing.

Then all of the parts get powdercoated, assembled with new hardware, and pre-lubed.

I guess if using around $90 in materials, plus spending around an hour to machine, weld, powdercoat, and assembling each one using custom parts and jigs for $144.99 (that's $55 in profit before paying an employee for that hour)is ripping people off, then I guess we're guilty as charged. Then again, every other business that sells their products/time/ for money would be in the same boat as us.

I forgot to mention that we also paid more for these last parts through Mitsubishi as we had to convince them to make one more run of 30 of each of the raw parts since they're no longer in production and no longer available anywhere. Thus, they're even less profit this time around.

I didn't like how short the 1g lever was. Below the fulcrum, its the same as the GVR4, but the shorter length above the fulcrum is shorter, so you hand will travel less, giving you the impression its a short shifter.

I had the 1g for a while but then bought the JNZ piece and like it quite a bit better. The throw is still shorter, but sits a bit higher which I feel is more suitable for the Galant.

Nabeel

The JNZ sells fair price considering they are using new 3k shifter as they are not cheap from dealer. The word of expensive comes from comparing to other shifters.

5OF2k

I always did this, on every DSM Ive owned from daily to racecar:

vfaq shifter mod

my .02

-Jake

**EDIT** I just realized it only shows the main page, click on shifter, then click shifter throw mod. It also has a link for the shifter stop mod as well (necessary)

Last edited:

Nabeel

5OF2k' That is very good point. 1g shifter+ vfaq mod= Great cheap shifter

I put a different shift knob that sits deeper then the stock knob.

it is at least an inch shorter.

I pulled the boot up to it.

img.php

89Mirageman

I have a complete 3000gt shifter assembly for $25 + shipping FYI

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned