The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

water pipe nipple removal ?

tektic

I'm removing the fiav and water cooled ofh.
I was going to cut crimp and weld the nipples on the water pipe but figured i'd see if someone else had a better more elegant solution.

EHmotorsports

I welded mine shut. just make sure you have no coolant in the system and are doing this with the pipe removed.

Last edited:

prove_it

Quoting tektic:
I'm removing the fiav and water cooled ofh.
I was going to cut crimp and weld the nipples on the water pipe but figured i'd see if someone else had a better more elegant solution.

That would be the best way, as it will provide worry free leak protection. You could probably cut the whole nipple off and weld a small plate in place and grind it down so it's invisible.

LIV4PSI

Get a 90 water pipe, then all you have to worry about is the FIAV

tektic

It almost looks like the nipples were soldered in like house plumbing. Is that something to consider?

EHmotorsports

Its welded unless someone did a "FIX" to the pipe.

EHmotorsports

Interesting the last couple ive had were welded. maybe mine are messed with haha.

EMX5636

All of the factory ones I've looked at were brazed. I guess technically you could un-braze them and braze in a plate/plug. I just crimp the top, shorten it to below the flare, and weld it like the pic posted.

tektic

They have been cut of and welded over. I was worried about burning through but it worked put fine.

theevozero

I was just gonna suggest. Why leave a cripped and welded nipple, when you can just cut it off and weld it shut.

transparentdsm

when i removed my FIAV i just took the hose that was on the FIAV fro that nipple, turned it around and plugged it into the thermostat housing where the other FIAV water line was coming from.

theevozero

There is a plate you can buy to block it off. I'm pretty sure I have tb with one on it laying around if you are interested.

tektic

By removing the fiav loop am I removing a needed a pressure bypass for the water pump to opperate correctly before the thermostat open?

GSTwithPSI

Quoting tektic:
By removing the fiav loop am I removing a needed a pressure bypass for the water pump to opperate correctly before the thermostat open?

No.

4G63_GSR

I went NT water pipe route.

tektic

Nt pipe on a usdm model still has lines for the throttle body.

So when the car is running with the thermostat closed all the pressure is relived through that pin hole with the dangley thing in it?

Last edited:

prove_it

As far as I know and understand the pump can overrun the coolant. It doesn't have to pump the coolant if not availible. IE, it won't pressurize the system to 100psi. The vanes are designed to allow the pump to "churn" coolant. If it didn't then that small little hole would not flow enough to allow a pressure release.

The hole in the thermostat is there to help bleed air from a closed thermostat. Dsm'ers have been blocking off the throttle body lines for decades with no issues. System still flows correctly and under the same pressure.

Boy you sure are making sure you got all your bases covered huh?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned