The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Want to know if the 91 vr4 trans with work in my 92 talon awd

I dont have the cash to rebuild m trans right now but still have to get to work by buddie has a vr4 trans and case and im wanting to be sure that the trans will work and if i have to change any thing out

Diego

To my knowledge I wouldn't be sure it would work as the rear pumpkin on a dsm has differnt final gear.
Someone chim in if it doesn't have a difference.

raptorWagon

They will work, you just have to make sure the spline count on the transfer case is the same. Count the splines on the output shaft of the trans it's either going to be a 22 or a 23 spline, you need the matching transfer case for either spline count.

Diego, GVR4s and 5spd DSMs share the same final drive ratio, it's the automatics, Galant GSX, and I believe the RS as well, have the different final drive ratio on the rear differential.

raptorWagon

Indeed, it may be a longer 1st gear compared to the dsm, but is full of weaksauce when it comes to strength. It does not take much to break it (Launching in particular will kill it quick).

Diego

[quote

Diego, GVR4s and 5spd DSMs share the same final drive ratio, it's the automatics, Galant GSX, and I believe the RS as well, have the different final drive ratio on the rear differential.

That's what I was basing upon as a friend got the ggsx trans n xcase for his gsx.... it worked but not for long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

raptorWagon

Well the GGSX trans is weaker than the VR4 trans to begin with I don't know why your friend even considered that an option. I wonder how the rear diff was feeling after that mix and match..

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks for the info but quick question the vr4 tranny im getting came off a six bolt i have a 7 bolt is the tranny still gonna mount up to my 7 bolt?

Diego

lets just say the rear grinded to a complete hault... the yard he got it from told sold him a ggsx trans n case instead of a vr4 trans n case....

raptorWagon

Quoting dd3211:
thanks for the info but quick question the vr4 tranny im getting came off a six bolt i have a 7 bolt is the tranny still gonna mount up to my 7 bolt?

The 6 and 7 bolt part only applies to the flywheel.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned