The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Drive the car with no driveshaft

I think im having issues with my rear end and instead of opening the case, or switching it entirly i was wondering if its safe to run the car just using the front axles. Im not talking about driving 10 miles or anything but around my neighborhood just to try to find the issues.

I just dont want to f*** up my trans or t-case if they need the constant pressure to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Posten

Without the driveshaft into the tcase, the fluid would come out and very quickly kill the tcase. And the viscous clutch in the tranny would be working VERY hard and will burn up fast.

ok so what if i take the t-case and driveshaft off? it would still hurt the tranny?

Last edited by a moderator:

it would still ruin the viscous coupler. in order to run just fwd you would have to put a locking sleeve in place of the viscous coupler.

well ill pop the cover off my rear end and see whats going on with it. Can you rebuild a 4bolt lsd. Is it expensive or would i be better off buying another used one?

BoostedAWD91

depending how bad it is, if it just needs re-shimmed you can fix it pretty cheap. It the gears are messed up, your better off buying another one... like mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

im going to pop of the cover and see how the gears look. Is there anyway to tell what ratio the rear end is? Like stamping on the pumpkin?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned