The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Vibration under acceleration

turboneon

yup! the front axles helped but i just seen the front mount is resting on the front rad support! Got a torque solutions on the way

turboneon

just installed the ts front motor mount there still is some vibration so im guessing at this point all i can think of is its a warped flywheel so until the clutch gets worse looks like a new one and probably a trans and transfer case rebuild while its all out. Which leads me to my next question, do i order the parts and have someone local rebuild it or should i go through a core thing?

Coltsfan

I didn't think my annoying vibration was the harmonic balancer either. I had resigned to the idea that I should have had my engine balanced when I rebuilt it. Then when it fully separated I replaced it. It was like a whole new car after that.

Assuming you actually made sure you don't have binding u-joints, I would think the harmonic balancer would be the next most obvious, and easiest thing to try. You can get an aftermarket one for $75 and swap it out in 20 minutes.

turboneon

I'm thinking that's not the case with mine, because when I put it in neutral all of the vibrations go away. This leads me to believe it has to be drivetrain related. My next cheap thought would be to replace the rear axles, but I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere. I don't know if I have to get them rebuilt or what. Anybody have any input on this, or know where I can find new ones? If it's not that, I'm guessing it's the rear differential/transfer case, if not a warped flywheel. Thanks for the continuous feedback!

Fish

So I'm a little confused here. You said you thought a carrier bearing on the driveline was bad. Did you replace it? Did you ever pull the driveline and check for binding u joints with it out or did you just wiggle them while still in the car?

turboneon

I have a brand new drive shaft shop aluminum ds with new carrier bearing and torque solutions carrier mount kit. The rear existing shaft also got a new u joint.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

when the car is in 5th gear and you go from 0% throttle to 100% throttle at 50-60 mph does the shifter move backwards like its coming out of gear as the RPM's climb up. you need to go to 3400 RPM's or so??

Last edited:

turboneon

No the shifter isn't vibrating it's like a shudder throughout the car. The vibration seems to be mid throttle accelerating. Light cruise it's okay and wide open its ok.

transparentdsm

im not asking if the shifter vibrates im asking if it moves while in gear when you go from 0-100 throttle. with everything you have done to the car i can think of two things, bad bearings on the transmission gears sets or a warped flywheel as you mentioned before. i have a mild vibration in my car at weird times, 0-40% throttle usually, and its due to my trans bearings being bad. once the transmission is fully loaded up it doesnt shake anymore. also once my trans is fully loaded up the shifter looks like its trying to pop out of gear on me.

turboneon

there is no movement whatsoever in the shifter. Id like to replace the rear axles or apparently rebuild them? just not sure where to even start on them or if its a waste of time.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned