The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Valve covers

DSSA

A couple of notes on this subject as I have a little bit of experience with the subject:

1) I *HATE* powder coating. I didn't start doing it to have it become part of the business--it just kinda worked out that way. I simply wanted a way to clean up parts in-house when doing rebuilds and other customer jobs. It's painful to put a 20 year old valve cover on a freshly built motor, but at the same time, I had replaced too many oil pumps and rebuilt too many engines for people due to the place before us either blasting the head when they rebuilt it, or from media trapped under the baffles of their "pretty" valve cover.

2) Doing valve covers, unless I'm doing it for an in-house build, I couldn't care less if we get the business or not. With the process I use, at $75 for a single-coat color, I'd make about as much per hour working at Mc'D's, with less headaches.

Now that the whine-fest is out of the way, this is how *we* do valve covers.

Step 1: Degrease. These things are typically filthy when they come in the door. I'm talking, pick it up and oil is still dripping out of it, and wherever you touch them, your hand come away black. Let's face it, they've lived a hard life the last 15-25 years. I spray them down with degreaser inside and out, let them sit an hour, then spray them down again. After that, they get hosed down liberally until the bulk of the grease is off of them.

Step 2: Cleaning. They get put in our $4K high temp, high pressure parts washer. First they go in upside down so that the water is flushing out the inside and running through the baffles for about 60 minutes, then get flipped right side up, and washed for another 60 minutes.

Step 3: Oven. After rinsing with fresh water, and drip drying for a while, they go in our one oven and cooked at 475 degrees for about an hour. This serves several purposes. It dries any remaining moisture out of threads/under baffles, and also out-gases the aluminum. Outgassing is CRITICAL on these. I don't care if you buy a brand new valve cover that has never seen 1 drop of engine oil. Mitsubishi's castings are ridiculously dirty. If you doubt this statement, I invite you to weld ANY cast aluminum piece from Mitsubishi. You'll quickly see how much crap floats to the surface of the weld. Outgassing isn't to prevent the coating from peeling up or longevity of the coating. It's to *HELP PREVENT* fisheyes, and spotting in the coating. Notice the emphasis on "help prevent". Unless you do several coats on a used valve cover, I guarantee you that I'll be able to find outgassing in anyone's coating. You're simply not going to avoid it 100% on a porous casting that's been oil coated for the last decade and 1/2. This cooking process also cooks off any sticky oil/grease residue under the baffles.

Step 4: Blasting. The valve cover is mounted to an aluminum plate with two cam caps welded to it with both the outer gasket and spark plug gaskets used to seal it to the plate. A PCV valve that's been welded shut it threaded into the PVC hole, a modified metal valve cover cap with gasket is put in the oil fill hole, and the vent is covered with a thick rubber cap to seal it off. Pickling a valve cover is great for cleaning it, but without removing the loose skin metal on top, and roughening up (profiling) the surface, your coating will peel off in thick chunks in a relatively short time. Been there, done that when I first started coating. The assembly is then blasted.

Step 5: Cleaning (again). The cover is removed from the plate and given an air bath. The baffles/ports all get blown through so that any small amounts of dust (if any) get blown out. Then it goes back into the high temp/high pressure parts washer for another cycle to wash any remaining blast dust off of it.

Step 6: Oven (again). 475 once again.

Step 7: Acetone bath. The cover is hung from a rack and washed top to bottom with acetone, inside and out. It is then dried again.

Step 8: Coating Process. Finally. Powder is applied, then blown out of the ports/underside. Nothing clogs oil pickups quick as well as strips of powder that peels off of the underside of a valve cover by a sloppy coating. Ask Harry Blanchard about this. The part is then baked at the appropriate temperature for the appropriate time.

Step 9: Thread Cleaning. The threads for the spark plug cover and timing belt cover are tapped to remove any powder in them.

Step 10: Air bath (again).

Step 11: DONE. The cover is then wrapped in plastic stretch wrap, or put in a heat sealed bag, then wrapped in bubble wrap, put in a box and shipped back to its rightful owner. I then get my $75 which after the costs for powder, acetone, degreaser, and electricity, I celebrate by calling my favorite 900 telephone number for 5 minutes. ;-)

GSX_TC

That's the way to do it right there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

DSSA

Quoting turbowop:
Holy sh*t. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

TL;DR? Send it to DSSA.

No need to end the thread, I just wanted to point out that valve covers are pretty labor intensive to do correctly/safely.

I have plates fabricated for DSM, Evo VIII/IX, Evo X, Toyota 1ZZ (only because I have an MR2 Spyder that I never wanted), and some Honda units. Otherwise, I try to generally stay away from doing valve covers if they don't have removable baffles.

I know of, and have seen some REALLY talented guys in the powder coating realm. Some of their work is mind-blowing. Air-brush type artwork, 4 color designs, etc. I don't even attempt that stuff. I can do some basic coatings (one color, two color, etc.) and do them well so that they don't peel. However, it's not my gig other than simple & clean. The fact that I've cleaned up some messes from other powder guys (one, building his personal engine after the oil pump failed--removed the baffles of his coated cover and found a ton of media)just shows that I look at it more from the engine builder/mechanic side of it more than they do.

turbowop

I didn't mean the thread needed to end. Just that you sound like you know wtf you're doing.

I've actually been thinking about going back to a red valve cover on my car instead of the silver vein I have now. I'll probably have you guys do the work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

manikbastrd

After reading all this I feel bad for even thinking about asking you to do it at JNZ. I will happily pay a few more dollars to help out. That being said, Wow!!! What a process!!!

DSSA

Hahaha! That wasn't the intent, and I wouldn't allow anyone to pay more than our regular price.

Just pointing out the proper way it needs to be done, and that the old saying of "Cheap, Fast, or Quality--pick two" applies to this as well.

When we're slammed in the shop, powder coating just gets fit into the schedule where we can fit it and it sometimes isn't the quickest turn around.

minneSNOWta

I posted the pics below in my build thread, but they could be useful in this thread.

Media in the baffle from sandblasting ruined my original VC. I experienced this because of an incompetent blaster.
Kevin Kovatch of CompWorks sells laser cut aluminum baffles . They are not pre-assembled and will need to be welded together. Used a dremel to grind out the rivets of the old baffle and it came right out. Also dremeled the rivets down on the cover because the mating surface for welding needs to be as flat as possible. If too much rivet material is still on the VC, then the cam shields will make contact with the cams and/or cam caps since the baffle plate sits too high. Make sure the shields sit square at 90 degrees or you will have contact. The shop I had weld in my first baffle screwed up because the baffle plate must have warped during welding and they didn't even notice.

Asked Kevin who he recommended to fix my VC and he sent me to his friend Justin of Detective Coatings. Kevin was super nice and hooked me up with a second baffle for cost. Justin ripped out my screwed up baffle and had someone who has lots of experience welding in these baffles do it. Turned out great I think. Had to get another coating of gloss white and it turned out even better than I imagined. Finished off with polished letters.

EMX5636

I will second Josh that he isn't making any of that up. I've seen and helped many get done and it's a full day process to do one nicely between drying and cleaning time. But I love the way they come out, he has done all of my powdercoating work.

G

Staff member
I have 3 red head bitches. I'm going to send one to 3 different companies and see which one comes out best. I just dropped them off today to be stripped.

IMG_3997.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

Once they are stripped I want to check for cracks before dropping $ on a pc job. Their has to be an easier way to perform a chemical magnaflux operation than this >> ? click
click
click

This was in the process of being dipped. What is it?

IMG_3999.jpg

Last edited:

Romanova

I always liked these guys BoneHead ... they had a ton of colors. Found them late in my VR4 game though and never had a chance to use them.

G

Staff member
I'm going to try them, I like how they have examples of the color on actual parts.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting G:
This was in the process of being dipped. What is it?

IMG_3999.jpg

Could use more picture of the rear, but window shape makes me think Pontiac, perhaps GTO?

GotInsulin

Quoting Romanova:
I always liked these guys BoneHead ... they had a ton of colors. Found them late in my VR4 game though and never had a chance to use them.

I'm a Bonehead customer and have always had great experiences with them as have other locals. They've done a slew of brackets and valve covers for me over the years and my dad has used them for various metal bits in his glazing business as well. I'm new, so my vouch might not count for much, but I think you'll be impressed with their work.

G

Staff member
I wonder what their practices are to keep media out of the baffles.

CheapTalon

DSSA, I don't troll the board too much, but I take it you work at JNZ? Considering the amount of prep done $75 seems very fair.

G

Staff member
hinsho10_img600x450_1425053885aj4jzh1287.jpg

hinsho10_img600x450_1425053885hwzm6j1287.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned