The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Valve covers

G

Staff member
Who is doing all the good powder coating these days? Have not had a part coated in years. Need a vc coated.

IncorpoRatedX

no one, get out.

desant78

Yes Jnz tuning did a great job on mine last year!

James

TCC. If Carlos is still doing single parts for small time people.

tyeler18

TCC, Detective coating, Chaotic custom, those are 3 big name DSM oriented guys that come to mind with quality work.

Jesus_Negros

Not sure how being DSM oriented will matter with powdercoating but good choices tyeler18 I use detective coating). I'm sure there is some great places in California to get it done so you dont have to pay so much to ship a VC across the country. So I'd search statewide then westcoast.

ApexHunter

I had JNZ do a couple for me and they did a great job. The neat thing there was they had a jig that held and sealed the VC so you wouldn't have to worry about getting media, debris etc trapped inside the baffle system.

GSX_TC

Just at Detective Coatings did mine if you wanna use it for comparison.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
I don't like that some of these guys are media blasting. Also I don't think they are outgassing.

turbowop

Outgassing a valve cover in prep for powdercoat isn't necessary, IMO.

I just have a local place do mine. An old DSM buddy is the guy that does the work. Quality for cheap. He's done valve covers, brackets, the crossmembers under my car, oil pan, and even my summer wheels for my Audi. No parts were outgassed, no issues. The coatings have held up for years.

G

Staff member
I prefer to have mine done. (instead of media blast) who knows what chemicals have seeped into the metal. Also after 21 years of having oil on and around the vc I think it's a good idea. These pics are after chemical stripping only.

f1h1.jpg

j9o5.jpg

Last edited:

turbowop

The valve cover won't see temps that require outgassing though. It's not like an exhaust housing or exhaust manifold where it sees crazy temps and can cause a coating to flake off. Powdercoating takes about 400F. You have bigger problems if your valve cover ever sees temps like that once installed, let alone anything worse.

JNR

I can painted mine, using a few little tricks, and it looks powdercoated (no orange peel and a deep finish) and is quite durable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Seriously though, I could tell you it was powdercoated while you were looking at it in person and you wouldn't tell the difference.

Originally going to powdercoat it, but the detail I put into it wouldn't have transferred over the way I would've wanted it to and thought I'd just use the $$ for more important things.

Last edited:

89Mirageman

^ I agree, why not just paint it? You can do that yourself for a lot less and it looks just as good. I realize it's not quite as durable but unless you toss tools on it or something it doesn't really see any wear.

Street Surgeon

Bro, you didn't even remove the baffle? Do you even 4G63?!?

Step 1: remove baffle
Step 2: chemical bomb that mofo
Step 3: media blast
Step 4: weld an fittings on
Step 5: weld baffle back in
Step 6: powder coat
Step 7: final assy, clean and go
Step 8: profit

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Bro, you didn't even remove the baffle? Do you even 4G63?!?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

Street Surgeon

Yeah but lots of poop gets caught in the baffle, even if it was a vehicle that was taken care of =-/ I suppose it's not a big deal and more than likely it won't make a difference but my OCD demanded that I remove mine and have the under-side cleaned out.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
I'm positive that's all gone. When something like this is pickled it takes about 1-2 weeks. The object is submerged the entire time. Every few days the item is moved in to a different position while it's submerged so the caustic liquid gets in all the nooks and crannies. Also I don't think anyone is powder coating behind the baffles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JNR

Mine didn't look too bad, but I used steam and cleaner to get it really clean; even inside the baffles.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned