The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Used pressure plates

What is the golden rule for used clutch pressure plates?

1) Do they need to be resurfaced?
2) is it even possible to keep the right contact when resurfaced?
3) or, can i just toss a new disk in?

I ask because i have seen used clutch parts here and there. I have a ACT 2600 laying in the garage and the disk is dust. But the pressure plate has its normal fun marks. Can it be reused?

dsmtalontsi95

I have just thrown on a new disc in the past. Just need to break in the disc to seat to the presure plate and flywheel.

mitsuturbo

I lived in Salt Lake for a while and there is a place there that can take them apart and reassemble them. It's called "Exchange Parts Company" There are probably other places, but i have not had it done for a while. I'd bet just about every major city has a clutch place that could do it. EP dealt a lot with heavy truck clutches, and our little mitsu clutches weren't sh*t for them. They could build ANY disk you want (sintered iron is their most used material, seemingly).

I still have a 2600 that has got to be some 8 years old. I pulled it once, and it was cracked pretty bad. I got my hands on a brand new pressure plate, and took them both to Exchange Parts. They were more than happy to swap the new friction surface to the 2600 diaphragm and cover assembly. It ran me about $70.

I believe Exchange Parts is somehow affiliated with "Six States Distributing" and may know of other businesses in other cities that can do such work. Knowing what little i know... i'd start by calling them if i could not first get results calling around to local businesses.

beaner

I've always bought a used PP on the forums and a new disc from a vendor, never had a problem.

mitsuturbo

Quoting dsmtalontsi95:
I have just thrown on a new disc in the past. Just need to break in the disc to seat to the presure plate and flywheel.

How exactly does one "break in" a clutch?

Somehow i doubt flat out drag cars "break in" their clutches. I've always been of the opinion that it's "broken in" when it's bolted down.

dsmtalontsi95

Depends on what it's used for. If it's a car that you drive alot you should put about 100 miles on it (around town and use the clutch, not high way miles) before you beat on it. It's like putting brake pads on a car. You need to seat the disc. so that it makes a 100% contact with the surface. If you just throw it in and go romp on the car it "could slip" since it hasn't mated with the other surfaces. Now for heavy perfomance cars usualy don't use a full disc. They use either puck clutches or twin disc.

Last edited:

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quoting BadVr4:
do a few rev limiter launches and it should be broken in fine

id probably stay away from this advise generally a break in is 500 miles of normal driving and not launching.

alansupra94

^^^^

Thats what I thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned