The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo wont clock

gvr4144

I have a precision 60-1 with under a thousand miles but i cant seem to get the exhaust housing to clock from a down firing angle. Anyone have any tips already tried pb blaster if i cant get it im just giving up and just buying a cea 58/58 and selling my 60-1 if anyone is interested.

Olson

heat that sucker up and it will move

gvr4144

I dont really have much to heat it up at the moment are you thinking a torch?

Olson

just a regular butane torch will work it might just take some time. heat up the flange where its attached and tap it with a hammer just watch where you are tapping at.

turbowop

I'm not sure if you mistyped or not...but I assume you mean compressor housing. You're not really trying to clock the exhaust housing are you? I don't see loose bolts on the compressor housing clamps.

Unless you're mounting that thing to a top mount manifold. But then you wouldn't be using a DSM exhaust housing or an internal wastegate.

TylerAdamson

Being internally gated you're going to be limited to positions that you can clock it. And I've always rotated the compressor cover. Loosen bolts, tap with a rubber mallet, rotate to desired position.

gvr4144

The wastgate can be bolted to multiple positions on the compressor housing i dont think it will be an issue i just cant get the exhaust housing to rotate and also i put a few a bolts back in to keep the the compressor housing from moving to give me something to hold on to. Will that prevent the exhaust housing from moving? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

coyotes

Depending on the turbo there is a metal pin on the center section that fits in the exhaust housing to maintain it staying in one position. Have you removed the exhaust housing to see if it has a pin? If so you will have to grind it off in order to clock the exhaust side.

gvr4144

I havent removed the exhaust housing and i dont think it would have one of those pins but im not for sure.

gvr4144

Okay im away at work for like 9 more days i will when i get back thanks for all your guy's help lately

BluFalcon

Garrett style center cartridges fit deep into the register of the turbine housing. Chances are if the turbo has a lot of miles on it, then it's probably coked in there good and tight because of the heating and cooling the turbo experiences while running. Olson has the right idea, heating the area where the turbine housing and center cartridge meet, and using a mallet, or in severe cases, a a ball peen hammer is the best way to get it apart. Just be sure it doesn't come out cocked, and damages the turbine wheel.

Garrett CHRA's don't use a alignment dowel like MHI TDO5 turbos do. They rely on the lockplates and bolts to maintain the position of the CHRA, compressor cover and turbine housing relative to each other.

In the shop I used to work at, the way I was taught to deal with a stubborn turbo that didn't want to come apart, was to secure the turbo in a bench vise with the compressor housing pointed up. Make sure its in there tight, because chances are you're gonna wind up beating on it a bit.

We used a penetrating fluid called KROIL to soak the bolts, and the register of the turbine housing. After allowing it to soak a bit, we'd start by removing the bolts and lock plates, then try to tap upwards on the back side of the compressor cover with a mallet. If that didn't work, we'd go with a larger ball peen hammer. I wouldn't hit the backplate of the compressor cover directly, but rather the heads of the bolts securing the lock plates to the compressor cover. If they get dinged up, it's no big deal to replace them. This method worked about 75% of the time. The other 25% required a torch.

We had a Oxy/Acetylene torch that we used for this. If it was being a bitch, we'd heat the register of the turbine housing as evenly as possible to try and get it to expand a bit. Ball bearing center cartridges were tricky, because the bearing cages were made of plastic, so as soon as the CHRA was freed, we'd take it to the parts washer and run some solvent through the water feed lines to cool the bearing housing. Journal bearing turbos are a bit tougher, to hurt.

The heat would usually do the trick, but every once in awhile you'd have to get froggy with one that was being extra bitchy. Like, mashed, deformed compresssor clamp bolt heads, froggy. Good thing we had plenty of those bolts on hand to replace ones that got damaged during the teardown.

Be sure to wear gloves, as I found out a few times that the turbine housings tend to retain heat for awhile, even after they look like they've cooled down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh and if the turbine housing is extra crusty and corroded be prepared for snapped bolts, or rounded off fastener heads. I got pretty good at removing rounded off fasteners with a hammer, a brass drift and occasionally, a chisel.

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting gvr4144:
The wastgate can be bolted to multiple positions on the compressor housing i dont think it will be an issue i just cant get the exhaust housing to rotate and also i put a few a bolts back in to keep the the compressor housing from moving to give me something to hold on to. Will that prevent the exhaust housing from moving? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I'm confused. Why are you trying to clock the turbine housing? Since the turbine housing bolts to the exhaust manifold it doesn't move. Rotating it on the turbo assembly, you're essentially clocking the center section and the compressor housing. Rotating the center section would be bad since it will change the location of the oil and water inlets/outlets, and the oil drain needs to be at the bottom since gravity does the work.

gvr4144

Thanks for the detailed info ed. Ill definitely have to get a vise of some sort to hold it down to give me more leverage. Yeah im aware that the feed of the turbo cant be more then 15°. I will clock the center section after i get the exhast and compressor housing where i want them and match the wastgate arm to attach to the exhaust housing. I can move the wastgate to different sides of the compressor side but not exact with the way i want the compressor angle so i need to rotate the exhaust side and the center section after.

turbowop

That still doesn't change anything. The exhaust housing is bolted solid to the exhaust manifold. It doesn't move. The only thing really clockable is the compressor housing because of that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

*edit*

I suppose if you're only spinning the CHRA a couple degrees to better line up the wastegate actuator mount, this could work. Hard for me to wrap my head around clocking an exhaust housing when it's bolted to a stationary part. So really you're just clocking the compressor and CHRA. This is why I used an external gate on my old FPgreen.

Last edited:

gvr4144

Yeah realistically i just need to clock the center section but to do that i need to get the exhaust housing roataing freeley. But i was thinking about going external but room is so tight on these cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif and i dont want to lose my ac because its been converted to R-134A

BluFalcon

I do hope you'll be able to get the wastegate actuator to fit whenever you get done re-clocking everything. Your turbine housing has the divider wall between the wastegate port and the turbine outlet removed. Works great for internal gate setups, not so good if you plan on going external. At that point if you did have to with an external, you'd have to go with a manifold mounted external wastegate and weld the internal flapper shut. Not the best way to regulate boost.

I'm with Wop on this one, do you have a new top mount manifold that uses the a Mitsu style flange? Or does the new manifold relocate the turbo from its original position?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned