The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tuning ?

If i bought a safc for 75$ and a logging cable with cd would i be able to do the tuning i need?
click

Diego

Safc is only for tricking the air flow...

That logger cable is for a Palm that would or could have MMCd put on.

In other words, AFC, kind of a joke but is usable. MMCd is more of a "tuning" program, then an SAFC, but again, still not going to be able to tune..

Both help monitor things, that is all.

Diego

what would use to tune in for bigger injectors. Almost everything else is stock except 16g, and I probly need a logger first i was thinking of making the cable for a pc, but unsure on what i need. i cant find enough details and i also need to find a free program. i already downloaded tmolog, and ecmlink.

Diego

Quoting agent23:
i already downloaded tmolog, and ecmlink.

You DL'd ECMlink... you can't get support or on the forum to them unless you have a serial number.

For bigger injectors, get a chip made man, super cheap, simple, and easy. If you wanted to do "link" in the true fashion, you needed to be socketed (TerryPosten does this) and install the chipset with functioning parameters.

Get a socket, and chip, and save the headache.

Diego

Diego

Quoting agent23:
what would use to tune in for bigger injectors.

A VPC (vein pressure controller) and a FPR (fuel pressure regulator) should be used if not using a "REAL" tuning software...

this is y i think i need a tune. i rebuilt me engine with eagle rods and pistons, stock head and timing belt, oversize front mount ic, aeromotive fpr, 3" exhaust, not sure on injector size (dont look stock), evo3 exhaust mani and 16g turbo. i go thru like 1/4 - 1/2 a tank just driving 20-30 miles

i also needhelp please making a logging cable for a laptop and also need software so i know where everything stands right now.

Diego

You need to check your base fuelpressure and your WOT fuel pressure.

Pull your dang injectors and Google the numbers you see on the uppermost part of the injector, should be in a box about 8-11 digits. Without that knowledge, NO ONE will know how to properly set your tune.

I keep throwing parts at my car, all I do is go bigger chip, because its not too expensive, and its practically a fail safe tune.

1.Figure out injector size, now.
2. If your ecu isn't socketed, do that now.
3. Once all info has been obtained, get a chip made. Plenty of people make them, and you can get pretty aggressive with some chip tunes that are each customized to your specific needs.

Got it?

Diego

AnotherNewb

Sweet Jesus... Your IC105 driver is toast. Most likely cause is a coolant leak from the FIAV into the idle speed control circuit causing it to short out the ECU. BEFORE you plug another computer in you need to pull your ISC and check it/replace and more than likely replace the O-ring seal on the bottom of the throttle body between the FIAV and TB...

Your best bet is to replace your ECU rather than try to repair this one.

the part i need to check and replace is the tanish piece in the first pic. if so how do i test and a complete engine gasket kit should have the o-ring right

AnotherNewb

That is the piece you need to test and NO, a complete gasket kit WILL NOT contain the proper O-ring to fix it, you have to buy it seperatly. For instructions on how to test the ISC you should head over to VFAQ.com and browse over their tutorials.

AnotherNewb

Yep. Test the ISC, replace if necessary. Make sure coolant isn't getting into the ISC's passages and replace the o-ring between the FIAV and TB.

Since you are going to have the throttle body off (assuming the FIAV o-ring is leaking) you might as well rebuilt the TB now.

I'm not saying to buy your rebuild kit from ebay, just posted the link as an example. The FIAV seal is the funky looking o-ring with 3 passages. This is the seal that is most likely leaking and caused your ISC to shot out, thereby shorting out your ECU

ebay

But I should mention that the ISC may have shorted out and been repaired just no one noticed the damage to the ECU. This is why you should properly diagnose everything before you start throwing parts at the car trying to fix it.

The IC105 controls the ISC. Fixing this may not correct your originial problem regarding fuel consumption and how to tune, or it very well could.

Your original post was about tuning and the use of a logger and SAF-C. If you have larger than stock injectors you can compensate with the SAF-C however it is just a band-aid until you get a better tuning solution. You need to figure out what size injectors are in your car so you can even begin to dial it in.

Now start googleing the crap out of "How to tune with an SAFC" .

so if i bought a regular ecu (stock) would i just be able to solder in th e plug for the chip and be good to go or is there more to it. anlso what cars can i pull one from?

Diego

It's hard to say, Eproms were hard to find back in the beginning of this whole tuning aspect.

Some turbo 91-94 t/e/l had Eproms, some
Gvr4s were picked through in the beginning because everyone had an eprom.

So go scour your Jyard, but when you don't find one, you'll be back, asking the people that have already saved you the hassle of looking.

i didnt know some cars had eprom and non eprom i thought the eprom ones ment it just had the socket soldered in already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Diego

No. We are all here to benefit each other. Pm TheDsmGuy.... he always sells cheap and is a good guy IMO.

Diego

Last edited:

so i just talked to a friend and knows where i can get one for free from a salvage yard. But how do i tell if it is eprom or not.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned