The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tune up time

Redwood

So im goin to give my car a tune up this week and i just wondered what are good plugs, oil, filter to use in my car. its all stock to. thanks

Brunoboy

BPR6ES, and theres a lot of controversy over oil, I use conventional oil, and I really dont care as long as its 20w50 and a bosche filter. People will say otherwise but its what i run.

Redwood

IS there anyother things that i should look at to be changed while im doin this stuff under the hood????

Jesh

While your at it pull the upper timing cover off and check your timing belt, make sure it's still in good shape. Just a little more peace of mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GSX_TC

good oil (Mobil 1, Rotella-T etc etc) , good wires like Magnacores unless your already on COP, new NGK BPR6es's or 7es if your making a bit more power., a decent filter, i would go ahead and change the fuel filter, and one of those little fuel system cleaners to help clean the carbon build up on the valves. might as well check all your lights while your there, (Brake/corners/3rd brake light)

If your car is stock with stock boost:

NGK bpr6es plugs gapped at .28-.30
Ngk wires
Oem pcv valve
Fuel filter
Air filter (k&n)
Change all fluids; bleed brakes, clutch. drain and replace rear diff fluid, trans, t case and radiator
Napa gold oil filter
Valvoline vr1 20/50 oil or shell rotella oil (these oils still have the zinc and I believe it's phospherous that our turbo needs for proper lubrication)
And gut your catalytic converter

I used to run mobil1 and saw oil pressure at idle of around 12-15 psi (no balance shaft belt, perfect compression). I changed to royal purple, same psi at idle. I then switched to valvoline vr1 20/50 and my oil pressure is much better at idle at 24-25 psi.

You may also want to change the valve cover gasket and the oil cap gasket.

Get yourself an aftermarket boost and oil pressure gauge too, the oem ones are worthless.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have good luck running 20w-50 or 15w-50 during the winter depending on your climate etc. Otherwise what everyone else has said.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned