The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

transmission seal question

324vr4

i had a major oil leak coming from the front case so i decided to get after it this weekend. while putting everything back together, i noticed that the output seal for the intermediate axle shaft on the tranny was all brittle and actually cracked is spots. what is involved to replace this seal? please don't say the tranny has to come out. everything is accessible and i'd rather do it now then worry about it later. thanks

BoostedAWD91

It should be pretty easy to come out. Just pry it out or get a seal puller if u really want and put a new one in. U can get those seals for pretty cheap

DarkDevilMMM

Be careful when you pry it, there is a little lip that is part of the tranny case right behind the seal. if the "hook" of your seal puller is long, it might get caught on lip and damage it. So when you start to pry it, start slow, don't just force it, coz it shouldn't be hard to come out. You can pry it out with the tranny in there, but it's going to be tricky. If you think that's not tricky enough, try putting it back in... make sure you get the seal back in as straight as possible, it might leak if you get it in at an angle. You can get a new seal from NAPA or any auto store easily.

324vr4

alright, just what i wanted to hear! it looks like there really shouldn't be much of a problem (famous last words!) as there is plenty of room around that seal now. gotta love 6ton jackstands right? so does the metal ring/flange around the seal come out too or does that stay in the tranny? its red in color and i couldn't tell if it was part of the seal or not. as always, thanks for the info guys!

BoostedAWD91

when ur putting the seal back in, just get something like a socket that is the size of the seal or a something flat so u can press it in straight

turbowop

That driver's side seal is pretty easy. The metal ring around it comes out also, as it's all one part. That ring also makes it easy to install, since you can *carefully* pound it in until that ring bottoms out. No worries about a crooked seal. Make sure the little hole in the dust shield part is at the bottom or 6o'clock position.

The axle seal you have to make sure to install straight and not too far is the passenger side.

Last edited:

324vr4

perfect. sounds like that will be easy to do. i will order one today. 324/1k should be running this week if there are no more hangups! its been a long time coming, i can't wait!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned