The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear Main Seal Replacement

Quoting Brianawd:

My motor was pegging my 100psi gauge at any thing over 3k. That never once caused a seal to blow out. I have never see a rear,front or any other seal blow out on a 4g63 because of two high of oil pressure. There is something else going on with your car.

Not the seal itself, but I found I am completley lacking the oil seperator ring./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I will do a writeup on this repair, along with the oil pressure porting for those with similar engine configurations.

Last edited by a moderator:

cspetros

Quoting Vman911:
They also make a rear main seal sleave. After awhile the seal makes a groove on the crank and the sleeve is made to go over the crank to seal it up better. I can find out where my dad got his for his vr4. It was pretty cheap like 6.00 I think. MY dad got the sleave at parts dinosaur its on the last page of mitsu parts.

If you do replace the oil slinger MAKE SURE you put it back the same way you found it. the hole in it goes on the bottom.

For those whose crankshaft has developed a worn groove at the location of the rear main seal: Mitsubishi Rear Crank Seal Repair Sleeve

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned