The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

trans work necessary for 450hp

turbofonz

Quoting slugsgomoo:
well 4th gear is weak, and without a trans cooler, I would definitely forecast bad things there. The truth is, 1st gear, center diff, and 4th are probably the three worst things in the stock gearbox... avoid them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3rd gear rolls are what I avoid. 4th gear pull is just asking for it. Look at how small any gear on the trans is, then ask it to hold 400+ ft/lbs of torque, with absolute traction, and heavy load. They don't last. You have to change your driving style and what you do and don't do if you want your gearset to last at higher power.

G

Staff member
OP, don't you have to make 450hp first? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

G

Staff member
Hell naw it ain't easy, maybe in canadalandia /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

turbowop

My car makes 450whp. My TMZ/Southbend clutch and ER built trans seem to hold it all just fine.

DSM 1st, double cone 2nd, Evo3 double cone 3rd-4th, welded center diff, heavy duty shift rails, etc. Neo RHD fluid.

Last edited:

tektic

Quoting G:
OP, don't you have to make 450hp first? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

My FP 68hta and e85 tuning should get me pretty close... but if the trans can't handle it what would have been the point?

slugsgomoo

Quoting idreamidrive:
Is there a way of attaching a trans cooler?

You'll need to weld on some fittings for the drain & return, get a cooler, filter, pump, etc. The good news is, it's been done before, and it's just fab work. I think that people have decided that returning the fluid over the top of 4th seems to be the best bet.

tektic

So it's been over a month and I have gotten my diff back... they said it would take a week. Anyway.

Do I have to add atv when I measure the shim gap with solder? Also what's the torque spec? I need to find my manual..

Last edited:

Breakerrr

You have to change your driving style and what you do and don't do if you want your gearset to last at higher power.

Elaborate please.

tektic

OK... another bearing shim question. It seems that the center diff isn't sitting straight in the case. I'm consistently getting measurements of 1.56mm and 1.67 or around there each time I check it. Point is side to side they are different each time. Now what. I have three shims I'm about to throw the smallest.14 and the biggest 1.5 in and call it a day.

Edit:
This seems wrong now... I used 3 smaller prices of solder and got an average of 1.45mm. So now it looks like I'm out of spec by .12mm. Wish I left out the second shim.

How much of a problem is this going to be? I don't want to take it apart again.

Last edited:

JamesFoster

Quoting turbofonz:
Driving style, clutch setup and fluid are also very important for power handling.

This.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts