The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tranny help please

gmp

ok well as it says i need help with my tranmission. Yesterday i was driving down the highway doing about 65 in 5th gear and i look at my tach needle and it hoping around from 1k to about 5k. the motor still sounded like it was staying at the same rpm but the tach was going ape sh**.... also i have been having troubles getting the car into 5th and reverse lately could that be related?

thanks any help would be much appreciated ....
ive been kinda in my own world lately this car part of the brain hasn't been working out so well hahaha

gmp

toybreaker

iconoclast
Wait, wut, you got's tranny issues? Those threads go in anything goes...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Gary, if it's going into fifth and reverse hard, that's probably about the shifter adjustment. Try adjusting it and go from there.

If it's grinding going into gears that's probably about the clutch release. If it doesn't release all the way, it'll grind a lil going into gear, and it can be a challenge to get it into reverse. You can test for this by pushing the clucth in in first and running the engine up to ~4500 to 5ooorpm with your foot off the brake. If the car rolls forward, you're not getting full release. Bleed the system and then report back. You may be in the beginning stages of a worn pedal assembly, but it's best to get everything else up to snuff before tearing into that project

The tach hopping is often a sign of impending ingnition transistor failure, or a problem in the harness connector. I'd toss another transistor in the car just in case.

You can also check the little ignition condensor to be sure there's no bare spots in the wire at the can. With all this wet weather we've been having, that might have gotten wet and is acting up.

Look at the bright side, you be driving it now right? Gotta feel good after all the heartache it's put you thru!

gmp

well that gives me a start thanks john..

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned