The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tranny going out

Quick recommendation anyone? If you are having problems shifting your trans into gear...STOP! You will quickly crack your case as well as put unnecessary stress on the rest of your drive train.

Nabeel

I had grinding for a while. and I learned a lot. "USE dot4 for the clutch". New after market clutch needs time to get smother shifting. Better transmission oil= better shifting. Clutch adjustment will help some. And I will not go single clutch for performance car from now on.

I just have not had time to look at it but have not driven it since I had the problem. I have a feeling it is the clutch because you would have to force it in for it to go in gear. And if I have the car off and start it when in gear it jerks to where it feels as if the clutch is not engaging properly

Quoting makedollarz:
Where in CO do you live?

Castle Rock. Looked at Jacks Transmissions web site at the rebuild options. Been about week and still no response from email /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

makedollarz

I was gonning suggest swinging it by Jacks if your close enough, but they have been out of town for the past week for a vacation. You can't go wrong with any of their rebuilds.

I dont think they do but plus 1 for jacks tho, i have done about 4 rebuilds using there kits and just parts.

Diego

Quoting GVR4_671:
I just have not had time to look at it but have not driven it since I had the problem. I have a feeling it is the clutch because you would have to force it in for it to go in gear. And if I have the car off and start it when in gear it jerks to where it feels as if the clutch is not engaging properly

Holy F-N-A, I have this same problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Yeah it sucks! im having a friend look at it on friday so i will tell you whats up! I think im gonna need a new clutch though. And the person before me put in an ebay clutch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rausch

So, no fluid leaks? If it was sudden, I'd suspect the hydraulic system first. (Leaking slave, etc). If you pump the pedal a few times, do the symptoms change? Fluid level still where it's supposed to be?

I am not sure, havent had time to look at it, but it was one day and it was getting harder and harder to put it into gear and then the next day i tried to put it into gear and it wouldnt go and i tried once and it grinded extremely loud

donkeylips

Quoting GVR4_671:

You must mean that the clutch isn't disengaging properly. So when it's in gear and you have the clutch pedal pressed to the floor it jerks as if you aren't pressing on the clutch pedal. Now did this start happening after driving around normally with no problems, or since installing a clutch and its never worked right? If the latter than you might need to shim the pivot ball or just adjust the M/C rod. If its the former(edit, didn't read the above post carefully /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif-looks like it is the former) it's probably your master or slave cylinder. And I guess the chance of something happening to your clutch itself.

Last edited:

I had something odd happen recently.. I pulled apart a DSM trans and when i went to take off the Tcase the output shaft came with it. turns out that that trans grinded every gear as well.

donkeylips

That's exactly what happened to the trans that grenaded itself on me. It also started grinding every gear a day or two before it happened.

its pretty easy fix if you catch it early.. i spend about 130 bux today with jacks to get the parts to fix.. and then spent another 200 just to freshen it up a lil...

however the Tcase is dead... deader then hell.. and its all aluminum dammit!!! ill recycle it and get a McChicken for my troubles

Last edited by a moderator:

Diego

Quoting Rausch:
So, no fluid leaks? If it was sudden, I'd suspect the hydraulic system first. (Leaking slave, etc). If you pump the pedal a few times, do the symptoms change? Fluid level still where it's supposed to be?

Mine was all of a sudden, I drove in town 2 days before I loaded it on a trailer and moved out here. Drove it once in town here no problems but it was when I was leaving a friends that it acted up on me.... I replaced the slave bled the clutch... it was all fluid never was I getting any air out of it while bleeding it up here..... I need this fixed so I can actually drive it for a bit this year instead of 2 days like all last year....

Well I found out why my transmission is puking fluid. Today I decided to take a further look into what could be probable causes and I found out that a bolt is some how missing. Figuring this might be the problem and a simple fix I find a replacement bolt, top off the tranny fluid and guess what? Still puking fluid. I crawl under the car to take another look at where the drip is coming from. I could not believe what I saw. Multiple hairline fractures on the lower back of the transmission housing. That's just a great way to end my day. I wonder if there is some sort of a lemon law in CO that the seller has to cover a certain percent of the repair cost since I've driven the car less than 1500 miles, all highway. I just wanna drive my car dammit!!!

SouthCaliVR4

My welcome to cali just finished out at close to six hundred between D/l & getting through smog/registration. I just wanna spend productive money on her while effen maintenance keeps eating up the spare funds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Just hang in, it'll be worth it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned