The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tool quality question: how much for quality dial gauge?

Scott Y

I've spent too much time on the web looking at dial guages, and I can't figure out if I need to spend $200 on one to ensure accuracy, or not.
I was going to go through MSC, any other suggestions?

I'll initially be using it to do flywheel step measurement, but I can see at some indeterminate future date that I will use it for brakes/engine building/RC helicopters/some-other-stuff-that-I_haven't-thought-of-yet. So long-lived accurate performance is required.

How much have you guys spent? Where have you bought from?

Barnes

I would just get one of the more inexpensive Mititoyo's or Starret's. Can't really go wrong there.

Muskrat

Also, remember if you want it to remain accurate it should really be calibrated at least once a year.

Dan D

For the general use stuff you don’t need to spend big bucks. I have a Fowler that was less than $50 and it’s good enough to 0.001”. I compared it to some brown & sharpe and starrett indicators our maintenance machinist has here at work. The expensive ones have a nicer feel to them and I imagine they hold up over time better without adjustment & calibration, but they were not more accurate.

Barnes

Couldn't he attach his dial indicator to a flat bar?

Dan D

In my experience, a dial indicator and a fixture as seen here: RRE Flywheel Tech is easier to use than a depth gauge. There isn't a good a large flat reference surface on our flywheel to put the plate of a depth gauge against so you might accidentally rock it and mess up your measurement. $0.02

If you are using a depth gauge like this, there should be no rocking whats so ever.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned