The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing Belt

Lancer99

What kind do you use? I had a toda racing one and had no issues, but I was looking around and saw the gates makes a racing one too as well.

GSTwithPSI

I've used the Blue Gates racing belt, and it worked and fit fine. The colored belts are nice to see wear and oil leaks easier. They get dirty fast though. Honestly, I think I'll just go with an OEM Mitsubishi belt on my next build.

BogusSVO

Most my builds get one of the OE belts.

MD326059 OE Mitsu belt up to the EVO VIII

114A038 OE Mitsu and is the Kevlar backed EVO IX belt

EfiniX

Regardless of the belt you choose, get an OEM tensioner. That's the one categorical constant.

Lancer99

I've used an aftermarket tensioner and never had a problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Do aftermarket ones have issues?

Street Surgeon

I've run the Power Enterprise kevlar belt, the HKS true time, and OEM.

Of all the belts I'd say the power enterprise definitely smelled the best, BUT the HKS was extra purple so it's a draw between the two. HKS and Gates are NOT kevlar as many folks misrepresent them to be, it's just high quality HSBN like anything else, and I've *heard* the Evo 9 belt is kevlar backed or whatever but have never seen any documentation that confirms this (smell alone is not enough) soooooo.... Yep.

Oh yeah, and PERSONALLY I'd run all OEM, all the time for any tensioner, tensioner pullys, etc. but that's just me.

Last edited:

EfiniX

Quoting EfiniX:
Regardless of the belt you choose, get an OEM tensioner. That's the one categorical constant.

Of all of the bits and pieces going on my new motor, there were only a few "stick with stock" absolutes. The timing belt tensioner was one. Evidently the aftermarket units are known to have issues. Not saying if you get one it will fail, just that there is a body of evidence that they don't hold up as well as OEM.

As for the belt, I'm going Greddy kevlar

Last edited:

SleepinGVR4

Quoting Street Surgeon:
I've run the Power Enterprise kevlar belt, the HKS true time, and OEM.

Of all the belts I'd say the power enterprise definitely smelled the best, BUT the HKS was extra purple so it's a draw between the two. HKS and Gates are NOT kevlar as many folks misrepresent them to be, it's just high quality HSBN like anything else, and I've *heard* the Evo 9 belt is kevlar backed or whatever but have never seen any documentation that confirms this (smell alone is not enough) soooooo.... Yep.

Oh yeah, and PERSONALLY I'd run all OEM, all the time for any tensioner, tensioner pullys, etc. but that's just me.

I always wondered why my power enterprise had that funky smell.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned