The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing Belt Video

1990ggsxnj

Hey all. General question for the general post.

Does anybody have any videos or able to shoot videos of their timing belt while the car is running? Preferably the side profile to show the slack in the belt.

I'm looking for a few good examples of Good/Brand new VS. Worn.

Searched YouTube quick but only found examples of ones that are obviously slipping or just put on but incorrectly. None with the car running.

The whole reason is I purchased a car recently that is unknown if the belt was replaced. It looks decent/new but has a bit of a wobble in between the cams but runs smooth. This may be normal or may not be. No videos of mine as it's not a daily driver so she's covered and tied down until it is warm enough to proceed. Already removed the belt cover and loosened the crank pulley bolt.

Thanks in advance!

CarRacer

I'm no expert, but I think I saw something about checking the belt deflection when the car is off. That's the proper way to determine a worn out belt. As well as checking the condition of the belt ribs.

jepherz

Staff member
Maybe there is an official "test" for testing timing belt deflection, but honestly you're going to get different results depending on where the cams decided to rest up when the motor stopped turning.

1990ggsxnj

Yea, It's decent tension when the car is off though. Nothing dissimilar from others. My whole issue is with the belt moving. Now I tend to be kind of anal which is why I could be wrong.

The_Big_Weave

my theory is that if i am wondering if i should replace it I do. It only takes an afternoon if you have done it before.

The_Big_Weave

edit= you don't have to remove the crank bolt if your doing just the timing belt. (does need to be removed if your doing the balance shaft belts tho) which I do recommend if your doing the timing belt.

1990ggsxnj

Yea, that would be the only reason I could want a 7 bolt. I would remove the BS's but this will be for the GGSX that will remain as the "Weekend Driver" so I'd prefer the BS's anyways. In the least the BS Belt is being replaced as some places that do belts just ignore that one and I'm not sure how the previous owner maintained it.

89coltgt

You may know, but I will post it anyway.

click

1990ggsxnj

Thanks 89, definitely is good info but yes, it's one of an entire library of resources. I Just wanted some videos to see if people's belts vary at all. That's the curiosity in me.. But since a few have replied without posting one...advice is all that's available I guess.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned