The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

Quote:
You could just call driveshaft shop. and talk to them about what you're lookin' for..

RA9796L2
RA9797l2

Driveshaft

MISH23

I have many, many times. They are pretty much clueless when it comes to GVR4s. Thanks for the help though!

CO VR4

They apparently are not clueless about DSMs in general, however, since they are building the "bulletproof" transfer case/driveshaft combination that Shep is using this year in his 8 second drag wonder.

I never said they were clueless about DSMs. I said that everytime I call and ask them about the stage 2 axles, they ask me a ton of questions about the GVR4 and have no real answers. All I want to know is if I should get the ABS stage 2 axles or the non abs axles for my GVR4. The reason being I have read the ABS rings are in different places between the DSMs and the GVR4s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Green

Hey guys I just want to chime in my two cents here.

First thing is that my Galant has been moved from KTR to DSG, and been taken out of mothballs. It has been at DSG for like a month now and thengs are starting to move along. Unfortunately I am so busy that I do not have any time to work on the car myself. Luckily, I can rely on Alex and Bill. They have been working on my '72 mini, you guys should see the cage that Bill is putting together for it. Alex has been taking the lead and I will leave it to him to post some pics in a new thread when he feels like he has some progress worth showing. The plan is to get the thing running this summer.

Paul, sorry for hijacking the thread, is the carbon clutch you are using from ATS? I have their twin plate in my evo and love it. I saw some of your parts when I was down at dsg the other day and they look awesome. Next time I am in HK I want a ride.

There are a lot of us that have way more money investred in these cars then they are worth to most people, but to us they are worth more. I would rather spend the money on parts then the donor car in any case. The difference in price between a Gvr4, even a mint one, and an evo leaves enough money to build a pretty sick car.

-mike

cheekychimp

Mike,
If you are ever in HK and the car is ever finished, you'd be very welcome. The clutch isn't from ATS. I wanted to get an ATS one to match the diffs, but apparently it wouldn't fit the VR4 only the EVO I, II and III. I did query it at the time since EVO III gearboxes fit on the VR4 but Al checked it out for me and they were adamant it wouldn't fit. So this one came from RPS with a slightly heavier pressure plate.

Paul.

Dammit, Paul. You're building the batmobile. You gotta do it the way you do it. There is no common wisdom in cars period. If all we looked at was the financial aspect, then no one would own a car, as they depreciate faster than our refrigerators, cell phones, bubble gum, and that trendy coffee we drank last night. Thus, you must do what feels good. More power to you.

As for me, i'm more friggin confused now than ever about what to do.

Bimmubishi

Here are some more pics. I'll take more of Paul's electronics later today.

Custom SPA digital gauges, AEM UEGO, DEFI blackout gauges and link unit

ATS front Carbon diff

The tip of the iceburg on some of the electronics..

Billet T body for the FRH manifold

Last edited:

Is that an AccuFab thottle body? How $$$ for those diff's? Car's going to be sick Paul!

Bimmubishi

Mike I'll start a new thread for your car- mid this week once I get the cooling system mocked-up. I think will be worth showing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AL

joec

Alright, I have to ask "What is the Gesture Pad from Fingerworks?" I have this image of driving around giving the one-finger "gesture" to other drivers who try to cut me off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JB

fingerprint recognition maybe?

cheekychimp

Quote:
Alright, I have to ask "What is the Gesture Pad from Fingerworks?" I have this image of driving around giving the one-finger "gesture" to other drivers who try to cut me off

lol ... that's quite a thought. Sadly the gesture pad is not so entertaining but it is rather practical and useful. Fingerworks do versions of these that also double as keyboards. I used one for years on my Macintosh laptop. This is simply a large mouse pad which incorporates finger gesture recognition. Place two fingers on the pad and move them and the cursor will follow your every move. Use three fingers and you can instantly drag files. Place four fingers on the board and move them up and down and the entire screen scrolls. Initially it is clumsy. Get use to it and it's as quick as any mouse, maybe quicker. There are further gestures that allow you to cut and paste, go back to the last webpage etc

On a desktop I'd probably still use a mouse but in the car it's a no brainer. This will go on a bracket near my right thigh and be connected to the on board computer (linked to a pop out vga monitor located in the centre console).

Functions will be GPS, MP3 playback, Direct link to DSMLink and DVD playback with 5.1 surround sound linked to the stereo system.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quote:
I never said they were clueless about DSMs. I said that everytime I call and ask them about the stage 2 axles, they ask me a ton of questions about the GVR4 and have no real answers. All I want to know is if I should get the ABS stage 2 axles or the non abs axles for my GVR4. The reason being I have read the ABS rings are in different places between the DSMs and the GVR4s.

This was discussed before. You need non-abs, because GVR4s and 1g DSMs DO NOT have the ABS rings on the axles. They are mounted to the hubs. I don't understand why they even offer ABS type for 1g vehicles.

Quote:
Quote:
Alright, I have to ask "What is the Gesture Pad from Fingerworks?" I have this image of driving around giving the one-finger "gesture" to other drivers who try to cut me off

lol ... that's quite a thought. Sadly the gesture pad is not so entertaining but it is rather practical and useful. Fingerworks do versions of these that also double as keyboards. I used one for years on my Macintosh laptop. This is simply a large mouse pad which incorporates finger gesture recognition. Place two fingers on the pad and move them and the cursor will follow your every move. Use three fingers and you can instantly drag files. Place four fingers on the board and move them up and down and the entire screen scrolls. Initially it is clumsy. Get use to it and it's as quick as any mouse, maybe quicker. There are further gestures that allow you to cut and paste, go back to the last webpage etc

On a desktop I'd probably still use a mouse but in the car it's a no brainer. This will go on a bracket near my right thigh and be connected to the on board computer (linked to a pop out vga monitor located in the centre console).

Functions will be GPS, MP3 playback, Direct link to DSMLink and DVD playback with 5.1 surround sound linked to the stereo system.

lol but will it talk to you like kit in nightrider? "Hello CheekyChimp"

Hertz

Staff member
koala.au.gif

Bimmubishi

Paul, the Cusco diff is here on our desk. It's quite a sight. There's a machined ring that eliminates the need/use for the Viscous coupling. I'll post pics tonight when I get home.

AL

3Diamond

Its like a laptop touchpad. AKA a mouse if you will. I suppose hell have a PC hidden in there somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

turbowop

With the mess I just went through with my tranny and the different gear pitches that Mitsu decided to use between '91 and '92 I hope for Paul's sake that center diff meshes correctly, with whatever tranny that Teet built for him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned