The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The quest for the right Turbo

OoThomioO

So I have been wanting to try out the EFR Turbos from BW, but have come to the realization that these would be way too big for the Vr4 (physical size wise). Which has made me somewhat sad.

Now looking into the GTX3582R which gives you the option of choosing different Turbine housings since its more of an "upgrade" turbo. Doing some research online has showed the availability of TiAL turbine housings that bolt on with vbands. Lighter, doesn't rust, flow stays the same..making this a viable option. Problem lies with the new manifold flanged for t3 turbos. It's hard to tell by the TiAL website but I'm guessing they have an adapter for this .

I've also always been a fan of the T3/T67 turbo, but without a proper compressor map I would hate to get one. I'm still looking for a compressor map for the T3/T67h.o. that full-race offers (ball bearing). Another downside to this turbo is the 4 bolt down pipe needed as I was wanting to make the move onto V band style down pipe.

The current turbo I have for the car is SC6152 with upgraded anti-surge housing. Another turbo I have yet to find a proper compressor map for, but a huge down side is Thrust bearings. I'm definitely looking to go towards Ball Bearing turbos if not Dual BB.

I am not familiar with FP or Holset (what I see most the Mitsu owners use) which I plan on doing my research the next few days. Also trying to find different companies that do their own version of GTX3582 with different housings and compressor sizes.

Phew, this was mostly to see if anyone here has worked with any of these turbos first hand, especially the TiAL turbine housings.

OoThomioO

Sorry this is not a wtb thread...

prestonztt

Honestly, the Journal Bearing and BB Billet Precision turbos are hard to beat these days. They arent priced stupid high but make tons of power. The new 6266 is a pissed off little turbo. I cant rememeber who, but somebody made 850awhp with one.

I would definitely look into Precision. Its basically Precision and Garrett in the turbo world now. Borg Warner keeps coming out with new stuff, but im just not impressed by those things, especially for the price.

Jesus_Negros

Jpurnal bearing PTE turbo's are unreliable. If you go PTE always go BB.
Cant go wrong with Garrett's and FP's are nice but they are going up in price.

DynastyLCD

click

theres your 3582, but with HTA technology, and your options in hotside to have that nice V band setup.

FP's quality is second to none, ive always had pretty good luck with their customer service too.

AnotherNewb

Quote:
Problem lies with the new manifold flanged for t3 turbos. It's hard to tell by the TiAL website but I'm guessing they have an adapter for this

If your going with the v-band flange housing then why wouldn't you get a tubular manifold and weld a v-band flange on to it.

Quote:
Another downside to this turbo is the 4 bolt down pipe needed as I was wanting to make the move onto V band style down pipe.

If going with a 4 bolt flange housing there are several adapters that allow you to run a v-band downpipe.

OoThomioO

I'm not looking at cutting my current tubular manifold up to fit a v-band design for the TiAL housing.

As for the 4 bolt adapter, I haven't seen one I like yet...thus me just getting the v-band downpipe off the back.

@Dynasty: I've looked at the HTA's but it's hard to compare the old HTA to new GTX because FP releases 0 data on their turbos. I've looked up comparisons from the HTA and the regular GT3582R, but I suppose since the GTX series is a tad new..there hasn't been a chance to get a good amount of vs. information.

@preston: I currently have a Journal Bearing SC6152 w/ upgraded housing, but as stated I'm trying to move away from journal bearings altogether. Mainly doing this because of increased reliability at higher boost levels.

The reason I was looking more towards the GTX was dual ball bearing and the new billet wheel. Although with each recommendation I will be doing more and more research. I'm probably going to buy the turbo I decide on near the end of my 7 weeks of work.

EMX5636

I'm running a PTE BB billet turbo and love it. It's their older water cooled, not the ceramic new stuff. I blew up about 5 Bullseye built Borg Warners in just under a year. They said I have an oiling problem (all thrust bearing failures), but a JB PTE and BB PTE have held up great. I have run a SCM6152 and a buddy of mine had a BB SC6152RE. If you like your current turbo, I would find a ball bearing version.

What are your HP goals and desired spool (powerband)?

Last edited:

OoThomioO

I'd be happy with a conservative 480awhp but I really want to see what I can get to with the aem water/meth kit.

As for powerband, I'd like a quick spool (like everyone else out there)...not a huge fan of the rubberband effect. I haven't tried a lot of different turbos yet, still making my way through what I have :p but getting most of the boost built early (~4k rpm) would help since I have a 2.3l. No high rev'ing for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4thStroke

Quoting OoThomioO:
@Dynasty: I've looked at the HTA's but it's hard to compare the old HTA to new GTX because FP releases 0 data on their turbos. I've looked up comparisons from the HTA and the regular GT3582R, but I suppose since the GTX series is a tad new..there hasn't been a chance to get a good amount of vs. information.

The Garrett stuff has yet to be proven over the HTA wheels. As far as what has been proven, they are pretty much equal. HTA or GTX, pick one and don't look back.

EMX5636

Quoting OoThomioO:
I'd be happy with a conservative 480awhp but I really want to see what I can get to with the aem water/meth kit.

As for powerband, I'd like a quick spool (like everyone else out there)...not a huge fan of the rubberband effect. I haven't tried a lot of different turbos yet, still making my way through what I have :p but getting most of the boost built early (~4k rpm) would help since I have a 2.3l. No high rev'ing for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm making 470whp at 27psi pump gas, and 508whp at 30psi (conservative pump/meth tune) on the 5857 billet Precision. Full spool around 4300-4400 on a 9.0CR 2.0L. Should be right around 4k with your stroker. Holds power to the 8500rpm limiter. Might make it till 9k before it drops off.

OoThomioO

Thanks for that info EMX, I will be looking into that!

EMX5636

I have a dyno chart listed in the general section here. click

Just a fair warning though... I feel like I'm almost maxing the turbo, esp on pump gas. A few people on E85 have gone higher 500's, but E85 isn't fair. lol So if you are only wanting this much power, and not much more, I would say go for it. PTE built it to be a 30R killer, and it seems to be doing pretty well.

I will get back on the dyno in within a couple months to break 500whp on straight pump, and hopefully break 550-560whp on pump/meth and more boost.

manikbastrd

What dimensions are too large for an EFR to fit on a GVR4? Will it hit the radiator?

Gizmovr4

On 584 - 2.0l with 9:1 compression we have an fp3052 turbo in that car - it put down 556awhp @30 psi . I think this is an awesome street turbo- very responsive. The best part of this turbo is that it fits a stock manifold or an fp manifold- super easy install. Nate had this turbo on his full weight 1g stock block street car it went 10.7 in the quarter I guess it all depends on what your end goals are ?

Last edited:

EMX5636

What fuel Giz?

Edit- holy old thread... and EFR turbo's have really large housings, with built in wastegate and BOV's so they are almost 42R sized even if they have smaller wheels.

Last edited:

Gizmovr4

Haha - didn't realize how old the original post was ! I usually don't reply to turbo posts - because there are so many variables that affect turbo selection !

Fuel used with the fp3052 was pump e85

Last edited:

EMX5636

I wasn't really referring to you, the guy above you revived the thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh, and damn you guys and your E85! I struggle to make low 500's at 30psi with 93/meth. I just can't justify swapping for a car I drive often and the lack of E85 stations around here.

Giz, what size turbo are yall running on 431 if you don't mind telling? I'm looking at a couple different ways that I want to go with my GVR4 and trying to decide which way I'd get the most enjoyment.

Gizmovr4

Don't mind sharing at all - no secrets here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif! 431 has an fp3794 . We are experimenting with a gtx4202 with a tial housing hopefully next week if I can get all the fabrication work done to fit this big turbo. Also banking on good weather ! Hopefully Nate can get some license passes in also!

New experimental setup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned