The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

lifters cause valves not to seat?

tektic

So the lifters weren't blead . The valves should still seat after sitting for a while right? Does this mean there's material in the lifter? Are lifters easy to get completely clean or should I just buy and install new lifters?

galant651

yeah. the valves will still seat just fine. you can clean them but it would be alot easier and you would be better off to just buy new ones.

BogusSVO

The HLAs will extend when not installed, then installed the compress some but not enough, so they need to be bleed down when you go to install them.

Check out Jafro on YouTube, he has a good vid on the cleaning and bleeding of the HLAs

Basically you need a quart or so of diesel fuel, a small dia paperclip and some clean paper towels and 2 small coffee can containers.

tektic

Saw the video going to order a new set after seeing what he got out of his.

MellowVR4

did you run your car with the lifters like that?

tektic

No, I didn't even accept the he'd from the guy who built it. I'm going to go pick it up and pop them out with the cams still in. S3x sells the set for $71 free ship on eBay.

prove_it

All you have to do is release the lock. You don't need the diesel or all that crap to release them. That's a how to on cleaning them on youtube. All you is stick a paper clip in the hole and poke around a bit until the lifter will collapse. I always do this, even with brand new lifters, just to be safe.

And yes extended lifters will stick the valves open and damage the valves when started. This mostly happens with big cams, stock cams aren't as bad.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned