The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sway Bar Questions

Lukefraizer

Back in the game finally, ordered a new clutch today and getting some new springs for the Hotbits to lower her down for strict track use. The biggest thing on the list now though is the sway bars. From what it looks like to me is Whiteline or RM Racing. Need a little help since the Whitelines are staggered 1.2 in in the rear and .87 front but the RM are .93 all around. Who has run what and does it matter much which way I go?

Luke

4thStroke

Larger swaybars are usually ran in the front than the rear.

I run the largest front and rear bars that Whiteline has to offer for the sake of trying to get this pig through the corners as flat as possible.

Olson

no sways and more spring to control body roll /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif different thinking but it works

Olson

or you can just unhook your rear and see how you like that kind of method

Leon_R

I, personally, only upgrade the rear sway bars. Our cars already push so much in the corners that a larger front sway bar is really not desirable.

Tre3zy

^ I did the same thing.... i ran the largest whiteline rear sway bar (26mm) and set it to the middle stiffness setting to make the cars rear end come around more to deal with the under steer... it come around the corners pretty good now ever since i got it...

LIV4PSI

Do the stock end links handle the bigger upgraded bars okay? Does anyone make upgraded endlinks? I looked and couldn't find any.

citymunky

Quoting Tre3zy:
^ I did the same thing.... i ran the largest whiteline rear sway bar (26mm) and set it to the middle stiffness setting to make the cars rear end come around more to deal with the under steer... it come around the corners pretty good now ever since i got it...

923 came the same way. Big 27mm custom sway in the rear, 22mm Whiteline in the front. Minjin the last owner of 923 was big into Auto-Cross, so I guess is works.

KiNgMaRtY

I have the Rear Whiteline bar also set to the middle and I agree that the rear follows so much better than with the stock bar.
I was thinking of getting the WL front bar as well I still haven't decided if it would be worth it

Last edited:

Lukefraizer

Coming around definitively makes me think of autocross.... I want a very planted feel, I was racing Hasting Race Way last year and it seemed like every time I would take the fast right in between the 2 straights I would find myself catching the back end trying to sneak out of there on me. Not a great feeling at high speeds with cars all around me. I was not under steering at all for the most part (other than the rain) but a bit of pivot would be nice in the slower corners. E85 should help that a bit though with a bit more throttle.

Leon_R

So... What setup do you currently have? Mitsu worked very hard to make sure that these cars understeer BIG TIME, because it is much safer for your average driver! That is why most enthusiasts undo that tendency. If your car looses its rear end, it is ether already been "fixed" (and perhaps overdone) or something is just wrong, in the rear.

Lukefraizer

I actually have stock sway bars with hot bits coilover suspension. We are dropping and changing to higher spring rating on those. I guess it is just how you drive it....

Tre3zy

my current setup is BC coilover's all around with the 26mm sway in the rear set to middle... wen i went to do some canyon run i set the coilovers to 25 or 32 in front and 28 of 32 rear... and it stayed planted... i never once got scared of the car loosing the rear end... it was very predictable on how much the back end would come around... next im gonna get some wider tires and see where that goes... but for as is right now i love it...

Lukefraizer

Also the rear end of the car is super solid. I have full poly bushings all around the front and rear sub-frames. The rear diff has been gone through in the past year. Drive line also has all new bushings. Just trying to get it more planted.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned