The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Strut Question

deez

I am still up in the air as to whether or not I am keeping my car, but one thing I will address if I keep it is the strut/spring combo. I have the H&R springs with AGX adjustable struts, and the car is bouncier than I would like. For me, it doesn't feel refined or tuned right. Maybe if the rebound speed was slower or could be adjusted, that would make a huge difference.
So I am looking at the various coil over set ups and wanted to get some opinions. The car is a DD, so I don't want it too stiff. I want it sporty with the appropriate adjustments, including ride height. Thanks for the input.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I had agx's on my 91 eclipse gsx matched to B&G springs (1.6" drop) and I could not find a happy setting. Bouncy as hell and the springs did not have insane high spring rates. Also the fronts blew with less than 6k miles on them.

On the galant I had AGX's along with GroundControl coilover slevees. It felt fine in the beginning but shortly the fronts blew. Got anothwr set in there and then the adjustment on one of them froze. that's when I said enough is enough and dished out 2k for a set of Hotbits race coilovers and camber plates. Best setup I've ever had.

belize1334

AGX shocks will go downhill fast on pretty much any setup where you would want them. They don't like stiff springs and they don't like to be lowered. It has also been found that the adjustment knob is terribly innacurate and that from one shock to the next you can expect to get dramatically different results for the same setting. Sometimes the stiff setting is actually softer than the soft setting.

If you can possibly afford it I recommend that you just skip straight to Konis. I wish that I had.

Street Surgeon

AGX's are complete garbage... Had a set on my 1G for about 4k miles before one blew. The car rode like total crap with the AGX's and GC coilover sleeves. On the galant I have a set of KYB GR-2's with the GC sleeves leftover from my 1G build. The car rides looooooooow, and is really bumpy. I'm assuming this is because of the spring rate and being lowered so much so I'm going to install a set of less stiff, and taller hypercoil springs.

My ideal suspension setup would probably be some yellow koni's, the ground control sleeves, hypercoil springs, RRE camber plates, urethane bushings all around, maximal performance rear adjustable control arms, and f/r whiteline swaybars.

deez

So putting that all together and you still lack any compression/rebound adjustment, so why not just spend the extra and go Hotbits? And is there an alternative to Hotbits that make me so broke? Or a vendor on here that can hook that up?

CarRacer

I have a set of Ksports on my car and I DD it. They're not a bad ride at all, although they do bounce on the highway sometimes. I need to raise the shock body though and soften up the front springs though so that might aleviate that problem. Other than that I have zero issues with them and the car turns great.

vr4play

My daily driver has gr2's with H&R springs and it rides nice and still handles decent. My race car has front Koni inserts and rear 2g Koni shocks. I am running ground control coilover sleeves with some pretty stiff spings. The ride is ok and the handling is the best it has ever been on any of my cars. I am using springs that are a little out of the recommended range. I would love buying the hotbits but having 2 vr-4's a DSM and having a kid doesn't leave much money for high dollar parts. I am looking at experimenting with some of the new eclipse and evo suspension. It looks like it would bolt up without much modification.

deez

I see the K Sports on ebay and they are a lot less expensive. Anyone else have input on those?

Dan D

Quote:
My daily driver has gr2's with H&R springs and it rides nice and still handles decent.

How many miles have you put on that setup? Are the GR2's handling the higher spring rate and drop of the H&Rs?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned