The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock US Intercooler Dimensions

BluFalcon

I searched and couldn't find anything. Looking for the dimensions for the stock US market intercooler, so I can source a similar sized oil cooler to install in the space. If anyone has one lying around, and doesn't mind measuring it, it'd be appreciated. Also, does anyone think that I would run into any issues running a oil cooler in that location?

EgonOlsen

Im pretty sure that is the stock location for cars with the oilcooler. At least my GTI Dyn4 have the oilcooler in that spot stock.
Prolly another reason the US VR4 dont have an oilcooler, no room with the IC.

This is not fact, but a likely truth. :p

BluFalcon

Got any pictures of the oil cooler in that location? I'm really interested in the position of the inlet and outlet on the cooler and how they're oriented from the factory. You wouldn't happen to have the dimensions for the factory oil cooler handy, would you?

GSX_TC

Before I got my front mount I was running both the stock intercooler and a 90 External oil cooler in front of my car, I'll post a pic of how it looked tomorrow morning, and will give you the dimensions of the intercooler here in a bit ed.

EDIT: ok just measured it, it was 11.5 inches wide, 7.25 inches tall and 2.5 inches thick. And the outlets are 2 inch.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Last edited:

EgonOlsen

Quoting BluFalcon:
Got any pictures of the oil cooler in that location? I'm really interested in the position of the inlet and outlet on the cooler and how they're oriented from the factory. You wouldn't happen to have the dimensions for the factory oil cooler handy, would you?

I will try, as opposed to most VR4s, this GTI is actually assempled and runs on a daily basis. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BluFalcon

Thanks Mike and Egon! Exactly what I needed.

Egon: So, it looks like the cooler feeds and returns from the bottom as installed from the factory, right?

EgonOlsen

Yes, the EU Galant GTIs have oilcooler as Standard.
I still meet a lot of people thats actually surprised that the VR4 dont have an oilcooler.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned