The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock route intercooler pipes?

turboren

I searched this, but couldn't seem to find it.... Wasn't there someone on the board here who made stock route hard IC pipes for our cars?

Ren

turboren

Actually, I think I found the name of the guy, but not sure if he is a member here... Dave Brode. As I recall, he made a whole pipe set for our cars for pretty cheap, but I can't seem to find it online. Anyone know if the kits are still available?

Rausch

Haven't seen anything come up in some time. I bought a complete kit from him back in early 05 (ish?) and think I got one of the last sets sold here. I've since sold it, and it was in great shape then.

I know he was still making piping for awhile, but no ideas after that. Kit was very nice though.

Quoting turboren:
I searched this, but couldn't seem to find it.... Wasn't there someone on the board here who made stock route hard IC pipes for our cars?

Ren

For about the same price you can upgrade the fmic & keep the piping if you're on a budget. It would be more efficent to upgrade the fmic than the pipes.

JNR

I have the extreme motorsports IC and pipes and it follows the stock routing pretty close; it is 2 1/2" Stainless, but I thinkg they used powdercoated steel on the production versions (my car was the prototype for the kit/IC). It wasn't cheap though and can't recommend contributing to that guy [long story and will refrain from the badmouthing, lol] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, but if you run across one used, may work for you.

turboren

Quoting Garfield Wright:
Quoting turboren:

Ren

For about the same price you can upgrade the fmic & keep the piping if you're on a budget. It would be more efficent to upgrade the fmic than the pipes.

The IC is already upgraded. Don't know the make (other than not ebay), but it's friggin' huge. I realize ideally I'd have custom pipes to go with it, but right now it's all ghetto'd up and leaky to boot (crappy welds on the pipes). I guess I could go with one of those ebay specials just for the pipes, or maybe try piecing something together myself, since I do have some nice aluminum Volvo 740 pipes.

Does anyone have pics of an aftermarket IC with our stock piping being used?
I'd love to see that.

^Why would you put a big core on 1 7/8 nylon hoses and expect to go fast? Do it right or leave it stock.

Polish

Quoting Dbossman:
Does anyone have pics of an aftermarket IC with our stock piping being used?
I'd love to see that.

I did it long ago. Took a couple adapters but here it was, circa 2005. I later upgraded the cold side but left the hot side stock. I trapped 110mph with only the cold side being 2.5"... fwiw

MVC-068F.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for the pics. Do you have any engine bay pics of that too?

As for crankwalks comment.........I have a nice core and a half ass pipe kit right now. I keep reading how bad of a restriction our dinky FM's our, so why not try it for now? It will eventually be "done right", I just need the correct piping. Everything else on the car has been" done right" so to speak. I'm not big on half assing things, but I'm not a fan of IC's along with other parts sitting on my b room floor and in my shed either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. I'm sure we can all relate to that sh*t.

I'd still like to know if that gentleman is still fabbing those pipe kits as mentioned above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Polish

click for engine bay pics. The second pic down (below all the text) on this page was with stock piping and upgraded FMIC. As I said, piping was all stock so it looks all stock. Nothing to really see in that pic.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts