The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

squeezing out the HP

GSTwithPSI

Old G talking out his ass again...

Look at that shiny blue timing belt that has never seen a single rotation in its life. And gawd damn, those bolt in bling bling manifold runners!?! Add the yellow oil cap and that setup will be complete. Looks like a bunch of expensive sh*t making ZERO horsepower to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
g_hypertune.jpg

OP, I'd start with your tune. You say it's conservative, so that's where I'd start making some gains if I were you. Throwing parts at the car before squeezing every last pony out of your current setup on the dyno is dumb, and anyone who says otherwise is dumb too. If you have the cash, I'd take the car back to English, tell them your goals, and then see how much more they can squeeze out of the car. Whether that's using a race gas tune, using a more aggressive timing map, maxing out your injectors, etc...If you want to push you current setup, it won't be on a "conservative" tune. If English says the car is maxed out (which I doubt), then you know a substantial change to your setup is your only option. Until then, tune some more HP out of whatcha already have.

That will work for you two fold. First, you'll know what the setup is capable of, with logs to back it up. Second, it will let you know in what areas you're limited, be it fuel, turbo, whatever...again, with logs to back it up. I know you said Lucas told you the turbo is the restriction in the system, but do think that turbo is the limiting factor in your setup at 468 WHP? I think ~500 HP with a Red is a reasonable goal, unless other factors are limiting you (your current intake manifold not being one of them, LOL).

The again, you don't want to have that DSM mentality, so maybe a bunch of expensive parts will do the trick. BTW, if you're looking for expensive or overpriced parts, just go check G's sale thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

turbohf

you do a compression test yet? what are those numbers?

Jesus_Negros

Damn Yall eating today.
Ghostindavr4 you've been an ass lately.

I'm glad to see everyone getting along while helping others along.

Jesus_Negros

You think I'm soft? Wait until you meet ghost big black cuddly ass.

Rallytimebitches

I did compression maybe a month ago. Compression was something around 170 on all four. It didn't vary much either between the cylinders either. I will do it again tomorrow to see if anything has changed though.

Rallytimebitches

I will see if the boost/ timing can be more aggressive. I will try to get some logs up. Thanks again for the good advice. :cheers:

mitsuturbo

Q16?
Id say start with some c12. It's a lot cheaper and will give you an indication of what an even bigger octane fuel might do.

Baby steps, sir. Baby steps.

Quoting rallytimebitches:
I'll see if I can fix whatever is up with my link cable, pour in some q16 and do a couple third gear pulls and log it. I'll also focus on different areas like I take temp before and after IC, and timing. Thanks for everyone's help. :cheers:

mitsuturbo

Quoting G:

The hypertune is $1500
The 77mm tb is $500

Where is this manifold only 1500? I saw it listed for over 2k on multiple vendor sites earlier today when I saw mention of it. Also, have they done the work on flow testing magnus has on theirs? Magnus has some serious skin in the game where performance is concerned. Hypertune just looks like a guy with a slick CNC setup wants to turn a few bucks based on superior appearance, tbh.

turbohf

DSport mag did a test on an EVO a couple years back. Hypertune beat both versions of the Magnus manifold on the dyno.

Jesus_Negros

1-3?

89Patches

Wait the Hypertune manifold is $2K? Better be a hell of a manifold for that kinda of money! Sure does look like nice though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

diambo4life

Listen to the majority of the people here. Engine bay of my old Talon when it went almost 140mph at about 3100lbs.
click
The stock intake is good as it gives you that midrange torque that will enable the car to make the power sooner and hold it longer especially if you're keeping your rpm to 8,000rpm or less.

prove_it

Quoting rallytimebitches:
I did compression maybe a month ago. Compression was something around 170 on all four. It didn't vary much either between the cylinders either. I will do it again tomorrow to see if anything has changed though.

Is it just me or does this seem low for 9.0:1 compression? I'm at 8.3:1 and have 165 across my cylinders.

slugsgomoo

Unless it was cold, 170 does seem very low for 9:1...

I want to review the hyperdouche stuff more but I'm on my phone right now, so it'll have to wait.

One thing that stuck out to me, is I believe peak power on q16 > c16, but you need a lot more injector. I'm wondering how that plays into it.

Also as others have noted, I don't think those are terrible numbers for an old school red.

thecman02

You are on ecmlink. Do you have a log from the dyno pull, or maybe could do a pull on the street and post up the file?

To me those seem like fairly legit numbers for a grandpa tech turbo. What was keeping them from turning up the boost? We really need more data to see where the power is locked away. Need log and dyno sheet.

The ole' red is a 60-1 compressor isn't it?

fig9.html

They might have given you an extra conservative tune on race gas. If you have a junk intercooler they are going to take out lots of timing and limit boost to prevent knock when the intercooler gets heatsoaked after one small rip. Its all speculation until we have data though.

G

Staff member
Quoting EHmotorsports:
click

Negro, that's for evo8. The hypertune is not 2k. You can buy it directly from HT for $1500. I have never read that thread before, impressive it was neck and neck with the HKS. Who has engineers/ budgets most can only dream about. Looks like the HT is more than just some cat with a cnc.

I wonder if Dave is Chinese. He takes all the intakes he's offered to study and reverse engineer so he can try and make one better to sell. Talk about riding coat tails.

slugsgomoo

HT's website is "coming soon" however you can buy the manifold from Titan (US based vendor) for... $2k source

I do see that the "small port" is available for 1500, however unless you're running a small port (2g) head, I don't think that's ideal. I'd also, given the option prefer a cast manifold over sheet metal.

That said, it wouldn't matter if the manifold were $50, he's not going to make up the 80 WHP from that change alone. Dave's test is interesting, but I didn't see the magnus cast (though it makes slightly more than the AMS cast according to a thread posted by English on EvoM), and both seem to be in the neighborhood of the HKS.

All that said, the HT may be a fine manifold, but it's simply not worth it unless you're on an unlimited budget or your car is going to be JSB forever with siqqq JDM oil filters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned