The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

squeezing out the HP

prove_it

Wait, you wanna drop big money on parts, yet you have a leaking exhaust part? I'm starting to wonder how well this is assembled.

Last edited:

Jesus_Negros

No Manifold is twice as good as the next. I'd talk with my tuner before throwing parts at the car.

EHmotorsports

Quoting 362Ryan:
Did you ask Lucas what/if any issues he was seeing?

this!

Op may want to head back to the basics and boost leak test,fix any and all issues with it running properly. also do you have a dyno sheet and a data log of the pull? it would help us help you.

prove_it

One big, no TWO big ones....

By tonight too.

Last edited:

ghostinthevr4

Quoting 89Patches:
Is this the new FP Red or the old school one? 384 whp/ 312 tq @ 21psi on 92 pump seems like good numbers for this turbo and setup of yours at those boost levels.

As for your Q16 numbers as slugsgomoo said "What's the limiting factor in your tune (boost/timing/fuel)" TBH I have never personally seen a FP Red powered car make over 460 whp. Sure guys have done it but that turbo would maxed out putting down 550 whp and they're setup is probably based solely around that turbo squeezing out every bit of lbs/min they can. I also have never seen a Mitsu style housing make more the 500 whp, the only turbo's that have have all been in a FP30-35 bolt on housings.

As for the 2G manifold being a restriction, Well I run an ported Evo 3 manifold that came off of someone else's car that switch to a FP manifold and they only picked up 1-2lbs/min compared to the Evo/2G manifold. Oh also they're car also ran a FP Red (Non HTA) as well. Never been dyno'ed but judging by his trap speeds it safe to say his car probably makes in the area of 420 whp @ 30psi on pump.

Honestly those numbers your car put down don't seem off to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

This post is dead nuts on target your stomach must be hurting right now!

Go with the hypertune since you don't get it.

Rallytimebitches

sorry my previous post was off a phone that i typed this morning in response to G... bad connection so for some reason it posted way late. I didnt see any of the replies after reply number three. dont give me a hard time for not even seeing what youve said yet. give me a minute to catch up.

thanks for the replies i will get back to what youve all said.

Rallytimebitches

i felt that my jmf intake and exhaust mani were fine. i've seen many of you make more power on the same 1g tb and 2g manifold so that's why i started this thread. i'm not into jdm bling parts and spending money on stuff just to make me feel cool.:rollseyes:

that's why the original post said i felt that my car should do better on q16. you guys are giving me a hard time because i replied to someone else's advice and it posted late for some reason.

to be clear ive already done a boost leak test. i have to weld up a small pinhole leak on the bung attached to the mbc, but besides that theres no air escaping. the exhaust leak STARTED on the q16 tune. the car is assembled fine. i dont want the power number to make my dong big, it's already big enough/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif my goal is to start getting better numbers with a full weight, full interior galant.

i dont have the log from english. just the dyno sheet. there's a reason i posted in the newbies section as this is the first galant ive actually gotten into building power with... and also why i am asking for you advice. but if you want to be assholes i can just continue figuring it out myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

the restriction is the turbo, according to lucas... thus the reason i started this thread. how to squeeze more power from my car with my current setup without having start over.

G

Staff member
You said you want to eventually make 650-700hp. I like to do it right the first time and install parts that my build can grow in to. So a balls out intake & Tb that you won't outgrow is the way I would go. It will allow your engine to make the power you want easier. Most of these guys here have a dsm mentality and want to cheap out/ cut corners on everything. If that is you then so be it. Everyone is going to say I know a guy or "they" made a bazillion hp on stock this and stock that. My engine is built to the hilt internally and their is not much more I can do to it. The e3b16g is my break in turbo. I inquired about your head gasket just to see what level you and your build was at. Your fuel may be fine now but it's a bottleneck you will be seeing real soon as you turn up the wick.

The hypertune is $1500
The 77mm tb is $500

But it is a built to order unit so they can match it to whatever TB you want to run, like a q45 etc............

A magnus is 1k. To me it's worth it to spend the extra $500.

g_hypertune.jpg

turbowop

Lucas knows that turbo well. He's one of the first people I ever saw run an old school FPred. I've seen him run great times and blow up lots of third gears with one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Mitsu exhaust housing or not, I would expect a little more power on racegas. You're not putting down that much more than me and I'm running an old tired 140k mile stock shortblock and a smaller turbo. And just methanol injection, which is nowhere close to Q16.

The FPred uses the large TD06H exhaust wheel and the 8cm housing, no? Tons of people have put down North of 500whp on that turbo, and even smaller FPgreens, which use the same exhaust side with a smaller 50trim compressor wheel. It's not the quickest spooling and transient response is garbage, but it still gets the job done as far as putting down horsies. Something is fishy somewhere within the setup...

turbowop

Quoting G:
Most of these guys here have a dsm mentality and want to cheap out/ cut corners on everything.

Or some of us take a realistic, logical approach to building a car. You should probably stick to JDM oil filters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roll.gif

EHmotorsports

pretty sure you can assume they thought you were just blatantly ignoring everyone because its what you wanted to hear. clearly it was all a misunderstanding and we can move on to the problem at hand. it seems as some are saying you are realistically at or close to the max of what you can achieve with the mods you have.
I am sure there are small detail jobs that can be done on the intake and exhaust ports and head cleanup with casting,port matching. you can also try to data log intercooler temps before and after the cooler to find out the efficiency. boost leak test past 30 psi? you would be amazed at what leaks you find at 30 compared to 20 psi.
turbo inlet restrictions,heat barriers, cam mechanical timing.Eventually these things will effect the last ounce of power you make.

Rallytimebitches

Yes it's the 8cm housing. Like I said earlier, i know that the tune is conservative and they left it at 31.2psi and I know Lucas and Aaron tune to zero knock so the timing isn't as aggressive as it could be. I'm sure I can turn the boost up and adjust timing accordingly on q16 and still be in a safe zone fuel wise, but that's seems too easy of an answer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rallytimebitches

Doing a leak test higher is a great idea. I've only been testing where the pump tune was set at /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I imagine I will see where some previously unseen issues are located. Thanks!

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

Quoting G:
I like to do it right the first time and install parts that my build can grow in to.

sadly this does not translate into every part on your car. put a magnus or any other intake that is designed for 5000rpm and up. install it on a stock engine running a 14b. what happens is you will loose the power you could have had. the low to midrange will suffer and you might pick up a small amount in the upper rpm for 1500rpms if any at all.
pretty much the only thing you can go big on and tune out is your fuel system. everything else needs to be built for your goals.

Last edited:

89Patches

Quoting turbowop:
Lucas knows that turbo well. He's one of the first people I ever saw run an old school FPred. I've seen him run great times and blow up lots of third gears with one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Mitsu exhaust housing or not, I would expect a little more power on racegas. You're not putting down that much more than me and I'm running an old tired 140k mile stock shortblock and a smaller turbo. And just methanol injection, which is nowhere close to Q16.

The FPred uses the large TD06H exhaust wheel and the 8cm housing, no? Tons of people have put down North of 500whp on that turbo, and even smaller FPgreens, which use the same exhaust side with a smaller 50trim compressor wheel. It's not the quickest spooling and transient response is garbage, but it still gets the job done as far as putting down horsies. Something is fishy somewhere within the setup...

His pump gas tune is what I would expect with that Turbo on those boost levels on pump. I have never seen one break 500whp on pump gas in person. But I haven't seen an FP red run with Q16 though. Just speaking from what I've seen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jesus_Negros

Whaa?
You mean i can't go with hugest cams or the hottest IM and make power how and where i want it?

ghostinthevr4

Quoting rallytimebitches:

to be clear ive already done a boost leak test. i have to weld up a small pinhole leak on the bung attached to the mbc, but besides that theres no air escaping. the exhaust leak STARTED on the q16 tune. the car is assembled fine. i dont want the power number to make my dong big, it's already big enough/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif my goal is to start getting better numbers with a full weight, full interior galant.

Not sure if the asshole commit was geared towards me but I'll give you a few little pointers and you can take it as is.

Exhaust leaks are a big no no for tuning for maximum, q16 isn't all it's cracked up to be maybe it was about a couple decades ago and that small pin hole is suppose to be in your boost controller. Next time when you do a boost leak test take the MBC out of the loop when you do it.

Good luck on achieving your goals.

Rallytimebitches

I'll see if I can fix whatever is up with my link cable, pour in some q16 and do a couple third gear pulls and log it. I'll also focus on different areas like I take temp before and after IC, and timing. Thanks for everyone's help. :cheers:

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts