The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Spark plug gap closed

ktmrider

G has been running great for awhile including a 1000 mile to/from PHX last month.

Drove her to work today, all was good. Went to lunch, got on it a touch merging onto the road, then suddenly the engine lost power and was running rough. Pulled over, made sure all connections and hoses were good, no help. Felt like timing was off however my boost/vac gauge was showing "normal" readings under all conditions even when missing. Checked the timing marks, spot on.

Limped home and popped the plugs for a reading. #4 looked fine, a little sooty at the base but the electrode and strap looked fine. Got #3 out, whoa! Completely closed with indications like something went thru the motor. Reset the gap to 0.028". #2 fine, #1 closed also! However no indication of contact. Reset gap and started her up, running great again. 3 mile spin, all feels and looks fine/normal.

Plugs are BPR7's at the forementioned 0.028" gap. One note, during my return from PHX I stopped to gas up and it did a similar stuttering for about a mile then cleared up, thought it might have been the altitude change from PHX to Heber. This was about 500 miles ago.

So I'm relieved for the time being but wondering if I had some excessive EGT's happening. Will search for a new set of plugs, should I stay with 7's or goto 6's running at 18psi boost?!? Thanks for any input.

ktmrider

After a few words with toybreaker he thinks it was loose carbon deposits pelting the gap closed.

I did just last week add some Seafoam to the tank, easily could have broken up any deposits.

Put about 50 miles so far, all is good. Will check the plug gaps after a week or so to see if anything changed.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned